Cheap Floyd Rose Upgrades?

I’m on a super tight budget for this project so I bought a very cheap off-brand Floyd rose (like less than $40 kind of cheap). What would be the first few things you guys would recommend upgrading since an actual Floyd rose is out of my budget?

If it were me I'd probably replace the nut, studs and baseplate with the Floyd Rose (or Schaller equivalent) originals, as they will be the parts that will undergo the most wear. Trouble is once you've done that you're nearly at the point where you probably should have bought a genuine Floyd or Schaller locking trem to begin with in terms of financial outlay.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, curtisa said:

Trouble is once you've done that you're nearly at the point where you probably should have bought a genuine Floyd or Schaller locking trem to begin with in terms of financial outlay.

Not to mention that the "very cheap off-brand" can be made out of some soft pot-metal with loose subpar threadings. The "real" parts may not fit directly. I've used some very cheap bridges and noticed that the bushings and studs don't quite match (a round of copper tape may stop the wobbling) as don't the socket set screws. The latter I've been able to fix by buying "real" M3 socket set screws from the local bolt store and re-tapping the holes. That's an easy and inexpensive fix. Regarding that it might be that the original threaded holes are a tad too wide and/or the bolts/screws a bit thinner than what you'd get from your local hardware store.

Just warning you that upgrading top shelf parts may tear the cheap base. I'd use the cheap one for testing if the entire guitar pleases me and if it does, upgrade the entire Floyd to a better one when budget allows.

• Thanks 1

Ive read many time online that the FR Special base plate is not bad , but the saddles and crush blocks are the weak parts .

Some say if you replace those parts it makes the FR Special a lot better .

I had one in a Jackson Strat and it was solid and performed well .

20151006_222950.jpg

20151006_223101.jpg