Piezo Locking Tremolo

Sethmetal

Ibanez said they won't sell me a double edge. I don't need another RG (I have six already)

Does anyone else make such a beast?

Also what is an affordable piezo bridge for an American Standard Fender Bridge?

(I can't say American Standard without thinking of the Toilet Company.....Damn Fender!!!!) :D

have you thought about making your own from piezo pieces and putting them under the bridge????

I posted this in the other thread, but it fits here too:

You're better off buying an old(er) Ibanez Double Edge equipped guitar (RG-6-CST, S-6-CST, 2020x, 620x, etc.), and transplanting the trem and preamp from that. It's the only double-locking system ever made. Ibanez does not sell the Double Edge system individually.

WARNING: There are a bunch of very sensitive wires in that Double Edge system. Take EXTREME caution when working on/removing them. You could damage something and not even realize it. Oh yeah, and screwing with it will void your warranty. (Isn't that what this site is about- voiding your warranty as quickly as possible? LOL)

If you need any help with wiring the Double Edge, or pulling one out, feel free to contact me.

Who am I? I'm the guy that drew the wiring diagram that Ibanez sends out to people. :-)

Also, forget about stereo jacks and stereo cables with the DE system. There is no stereo panel jack (that's what the jack is called on Ibanez/Jackson guitars). There's not enough room to put stereo/mono switching inside- I've tried. The 9-pin "box jack" that is out there, works on Strats (wtih some chiseling of wood) and a few others, but not on 'super strat' bodies.

If you'd like a full description of "what does what" in regards to the wiring of 1st Gen. DE systems, CLICK HERE. A wiring diagram is available upon request.

2nd Gen. DE systems, such as the 620x, have a different preamp, and already have the KJG Wiring Mod done to them. I don't have a drawing for those, yet. :-)

L.R.Baggs and Fishman both make Fender-type piezo-equipped bridges, but neither are double-locking (or even single-locking).

There are a bunch of threads about this on this Forum. Next time, do a search prior to posting. Thanks.

I have thought about it, but I think the idea of individual pickups for each saddle is the most desirable method. I can't think of a way to do this.

Any suggestions would be taken to heart. :D

you can actually manipulate the little ceramic or pot metal pieces that hold the string in place. you can make little pieces that will slide in there it is best to use a small little piece of steel on top of that. i can draw a diagram i fyou want.. it won't be completely inidividual but it will pretty darn close.. .

PIEZO TRANSDUCER:If you like to experiment you may be interested in this. Radio Shack sells a piezo transducer for use in a buzzer hobby device. You must remove the element from a plastic case, i used a small hobby saw to cut the case, be careful so as not to damage the element. You can use 2 sided carpet tape to secure the element to your guitar to see how it would sound. Wire the element to a cord with a jack and simply plug into the amp.This works good for acoustic guitars. I used a standard wiring diagram for gibson, any diagram will do, just substitute the element for the regular pickup in the diagram. this arrangement will give you some volume and tone contro if you use the whole wiring system to create your project. This will work best with a preamp. I have been thinking of taking six of these transducers , trimming them to size i need and wiring all to a setup so as to have control of the sound of each string, this would require designing my own bridge, which I don't think would be difficult. The Radio Shack transducer is Cat no. 273-073, cost about $1.89 each. Other items such a pots, caps, wireing material are not expensive.

hey james you can buy a strip of piezeo material for like 4 bucks online. or even get some freebies from some of the manufactuors. and just solder a wire ot each side.

WAIT....

So all you need to do is solder a wire on each side of a piece of piezo?

I'm going to have to try this stuff out.

Ansil, if you don't mind, please draw what you are thinking. I can't imagine doing this without crushing it in the string clamp.

I'll have to try it with those radioshack parts....not too pricy :D

Thanks -Seth

sethmetal email me and i will draw it up.