Audacity, anyone?

Bounty Hunter

I did a search before posting and nothing came up, so my apologies if this has been brought up before. For those of you who play and like to record your own stuff, have any of you tried Audacity? It is open source (free) and is pretty good stuff, especially if you don't have the money to buy the commercial recording software (and don't wanna steal it :D ).

Before you ask, I have nothing to do with it. I just found it a year or so ago and figured I'd pass it along.

Hope this helps someone.

• 4 months later...

well you have to download something for audacity to be able to export the file as an mp3 also.

i also have used audacity a little bit, one of the only things i don't like is the delay between playing-recording and the recording-sound. what i mean is, if yuo lay down a little rythmn(sp?) track, then go to play something over it, it won't "line up" the right way. instead i need to insert a click track, play the rythmn track, then mute the rythym, and record the second part onto the click track also.

Audacity is a great piece of software, esp. now that they've added VST compatibility. I still use it only to edit audio, and do my main recording in Tracktion; however it's a very capable piece of software.

I've been recommending Kristal a bit lately, so I decided to try getting more in-depth with it in order to give advice and instructions to people. I have to admit, I still prefer Audacity.

Greg

i havent tried audactiy to record, i use a shareware version of ntrack studios to record (still workable tho), and audacity to edit, great piece of software. I edited down acdc's tnt from 3:40 to 2:20 without flaws, my first time, alll because of the great visualizations and simple to use tools, oh and the reverse effect is good for checking for secret messages :D