Question

ive been planning for a while now to start the process of buiilding a guitar, and at first my initial worries were... money obviously.. but ive come to realize that all that isnt a problem but my larger problem is ... will i be able to do this?

as a 14 year old freshman in high school, im wondering if i accually have the physical capabilitys to complete a project such as this... i dont wana my guitar to come out like junk you know... any feedback is appreciated

I don't know. It doesn't matter if you're 14 or 69. You need tools and ALOT of patience.

Don't expect your first guitar to be perfect. Also not your second or third.

But it can be done... My first built guitar is still my favorite.......

Good luck!

yea from reading other posts i figured that if the fret work isnt right, the guitar wont sound as good, which is why im thinking of investing in some nice fretworking tools... my grandfather has an entire woodworking shop, because thats what he does for a living, so i wont have to invest in most other tools that i otherwise would need (bandsaw, belt sander, router etc...)

i was just debating refretting a bass i was considering on ebay, but i didnt go through with it, someone on here suggested a refret kit from a company called stewart mc donald that seemed pretty nice, you might want to check into that, im sure someone around here could give you more info on it

best of luck to ya

I'm 18 and building with a 14 or 15 year old (Kirk) and almost finished with our first. Tools and money weren't necessarily a worry because i work at a hardware store, so discounts + getting paid = cheap tools. Only wish is that i could have started sooner...

Absolutely go for it - and pay attention to what everyone has said. Also, check through this site (tools, works in progress & finishing) for tips.

My only advice would be to start with something a little simpler than a double neck. Not that it can't be done, but you will learn a bunch doing every one and I would work up to that. Plus, it will be more expensive. As far as fretting, you can find good deals on complete necks. I just ordered one from Brian's site.

Planning, Precision and Patience

Good luck,

Marty

I recommend takin a woods class at your school if you havent already. It will teach you how to properly and safely use all the tools, plus you would have almost any tool at your disposal. And like everyone else said, be patient. If theres a day you really dont feel like working then dont. Carelessness can be the biggest deciding factor on whether the instrument will be quality or not.

Definately take your time and measure a lot.Measure twice cut once.But a little trial by fire can help too.Just don't do this with expansive wood orparts.

Try building a few parts out of scrap wood,2"x4" or other such wood.It may not be the most desirable piece to use,but it will gve you a feel for the process.

I built my first guitar when I was thirteen and got hooked. (I'm fourty seven now) It will effect your whole life. It certainly did mine. Guitars lead me to electronics which in turn lead to software which is my career, and I'm still messing with guitars.

So go for it. Don't expect your first guitar to be perfect, but then there's always the next one. (try explaining that to your wife someday)

Good luck

Keith