Cheap bass

jbkim

I'm a guitarist primarily. I want a bass for fun/recording... and CHEAP is a must :D. I've narrowed the field to the"Kramer Focus 420S" for something super cheap ($99) or either the "Kramer Striker 422S" or "Yamaha RBX270" (either $150.) I've read the reviews on Harmony-Central... the $150 basses are rated more or less about the same (the Yamaha had many more reviews.) Have the bassists here tried either? Opinions? Which would y'all get?

While I'm here, how are Earnie Ball bass strings?

Thanks!

Don't know about the basses, although personally i'd go with the yamaha. I've played a few of those, and they aren't terrible.

Ernie Ball makes decent bass strings. They're really inexpensive which is great. But if you play a lot they go dead pretty quickly, and i've had a tendency to break ones older than a month, but then again, I'm a REALLY active player. Still use em though, cuz they're the most affordable.

I'm really critical as to harmony central ratings. It seems like a lot of those ratings come from persons who a) rate in the first phase of euphoria after buying their new dream instrument or whatever or b ) don't know the difference between a decent and a great instrument. From my experience with Yamaha gear and lack of experience with Kramer's new stuff, I would clearly suggest you spend an extra 50 for a Yamaha bass.

so long

ace

I have a Squire P-Bass I bought on sale for $99. As with Every Squire I've ever owned or played it sounds really nice, it plays fantastically, teh quality of workmanship is crap. If you can find one that's put together well (mine has a nut that was cut about 1/2 again too wide for the A string and the knobs were apparently put on at 45 degree angles to the shafts) you won't be disappointed.

The big thing in this class is that quality control is almost non-existant, so you need to make sure you look carefully before you buy.

Just arrived a couple of hours ago. As expected, setup was... shaky :D and the hardware/electronics suck B)... actually the tuners don't seem that bad but the bridge and pickups are cheap looking. Anyway, I like the way it looks/plays/sounds... definately worth the $150 US price tag :D. I need to get used to having 24 frets (thumb slapping.) Factoring in the price, a strong 4 out of 5.