Most Copied Guitar

daveq

From looking around at custom guitar builders, it seems as though each one has the obligatory PRS/Gibson copy. There are of course lots of strat copies out there as well but I have seen soooo many PRS/Gibson copies it's incredible.

Why are there so many copies of these things?

PRS-style guitars are just the latest trend. The industry seems to go in cycles from innovation (Parker, Steinberger) to retreating into copying tried-and-true designs.

The copycats tend to vascillate between Strat copies and Les Paul copies (and their associated spin-offs), depending on fashion and music trends that are happening at any given time. Right now, Les Pauls and PRSes are big, but the Strat remains the most-copied guitar design of all time. Next week it might be Strats or Teles or pawn-shop specials.

Just play what you like. It shouldn't matter much whether you're the only one on your block who has one, or if they're a dime a dozen.

I agree. I don't play any of them. I've been playing an Ibanez RG550 for quite a while and now have some guitars that I have built. I actually prefer the ones I have built to my RG but it's probably just because the RG needs a refret.

I don't know if I'll ever do a PRS/Gibson copy someday. I'm not a trendy kinda guy.

I think PRS has built some beautiful guitars but the way that I have seen some people worship them - it's disturbing. Some of these builders who are copying them must be in that category.

Maybe I should talk to Ed Roman about this? :D

personally i like my Vs yea i built a strat copy just cuz i had a free neck and it was my first one mainly for a learnin experience but no more strats for me, im thinkin the next couple are prolly gonna b another V for the arsenol and a sg

MzI