59 V

MzI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt do anywork cuz i had other stuff goin on, like runnin around to fix a busted pipe that was leakin on the eletrical panel yea really good stuff to mix water and eletricity, luckily we have a second box where you can turn the other off nothin got blown up tho

anyways

i did take pics of my fretboard with the inlays, its not radiused yet maybe tomarrow night

also there is pics of the block of rosewood that i have left from the fretboard

MzI

Rosewood

pics of the rosewood have the ruler in em yes its an 18" ruler

more work got done today so i have more pics the neck is just about done, its shaped i just hafta finish up by the headstock and by the heel once i get the body extension cut, shaping the neck was actually beyond easy i was totally suprised prolly cuz i didnt use a spoke shave or a rasp, i instead used the orbital sander i think its called i cant rember but whatever it only took me 30 mins to do the main part of the neck no way will i be using a rasp to do it when its so easy on the sander it came out good too and its only sanded to 80 grit, the headstock is rough cut like really rough cuz i was havin a hard time with it and it was gettin late so i left it for tomarrow,

theres like 12 more pics at the bottom and i dont feel like posting 12 different links so heres one link

enjoy

MzIlink

im thinkin the same thing, as im workin on it i cant wait to play it

updates as requested, my neck is done for the most part and the neck pocket is done, the neck fits in theres a couple spots where its not like tight the way it should be but im thinkin im gonna use poly u glue to make sure its a good strong bond with no gaps, i did screw up the heel a lil bit but i just made it so that the neck body connection is at the 24th fret yea talk about upper fret access, i started radius sanding the fretboard and of course i had to go and break my sanding block so its sittin for the night so the glue can dry and ill finish that tomarrow

next step is to set up my fretting press and instal the frets then put the neck together

depending when i get my bridge in ill prolly be done building by the end of next weekend and ill put it together and get it set up then take it apart and spray it

look here <----

there is 5 or 6 pics i think at the bottom to check out

MzI

• 2 weeks later...

i thought id add sum pics cuz i havent done so in a while, as far as what ive done since my last update whenever that was, the neck is glued in the body the fret board is glued on the headstock inlay is done, uhh and i routed a small channel to run the pup wire thru once the top is on

pics of course includin one of the piece of flamed im gonna use for the top, the maple is too big for me to resaw so im in the process of findin sumone to resaw it for me then ill b able to continue building

MzI

Maple

full body

Headstock

Headstock without flash

just another note, that piece of flamed maple has no naptha or water on it thats the actual grain

• 1 month later...

figured i should update this cuz i have done some work recently, im just about done glueing the top on, i actually had a problem to fix tho as when i went to get my maple top resawn the guy cut it too thin, like way to thin, its only like 1/4 inch thick now, no problem, i went to my local hardword store and got a piece of purple heart, resawed it 3 times and got 3 pieces to run cross grainto fill the space where the maple is too thin, so now the body is gonna be 7 pieces in all not including the neck goin thru it, on a side note, resawing purple heart is a pain in the butt cuz its so damn hard but it looks good so whatever, the last piece of maple will be glued on tonight after i eat dinner and will set up for the rest of the night and ill run it thru the band saw and trim down the edges and then break out the router and make everything nice and neat, next step will be to layout hardware and pickup routes and do all that fun stuff, hopefully ill b able to spray it this weekend, i cant wait to finish this thing its gettin close to a 2 year project, any ways

pics to come tomarrow cuz its really messy right now

MzI

I love the "MZI" on the headstock. That rocks!

I like that too. A little bit bigger and inlayed with pearl or abalone will be awsome to. And Ifor a moment I thought I was looking at Hyunsu's thread when I saw that maple, he have the best looking flamed maple I have seen, and he says that he get's it from here! Cant believe it, he got a secret up there...

much appreciation specially from you Jehle, you also have one sweet lookin guitar,

as for the headstock inlay, its inlayed with oak veneer that my dad had layin around from the kitchin remodeling not major, eventually id like to do that in abalone but that was my first major inlay took me bout 2 hours or so to do nothin too crazy, as for the design itself i came up with it sketchin one day in class, yea i use my time wisely

pics pics pics i have more pics,

Body

i finally got the top on and its all routed and what not, i came into a slight delima (sp) my scale is 24 3/4 and i have 24 frets and when i was gettin ready to route the pickups i looked at the spacing inbetween the pickups and there was like nothing there, so as of right now im gonna forgo the neck pickup and leave it as a single pickup cuz it looks way goofy with 2 in there

also any suggestions for a well rounded pickup capable of good rthym and lead tones in the bridge spot

full front

back

no there isnt bindin on the side its just the way i sanded it because i have yet to sand the back and i already sanded the sides, as for the control cavity, your eyes arent decieving that actually is purple in there as in purple heart

side view

better view of the purple heart on the sides

pickup cavity

there you can see part of the purple heart and the black walnut for the neck thru

ok off to finish up this guitar, ill prolly finish sanding the back layout the controls i want prolly 1 vol 1 tone, and then i hafta drill a hole for the input jack

MzI

sorry bout that, its all fixed now i forgot to make it public so everyone could see it, this is actually still my first guitar, ive been workin on it now for a year and 8 months which is how long ive been building, i just really started workin on it this past year and only in the last week or so got the top on and what not

MzI

ive been workin on sum finish options along with finishin a couple things up, i finally got a color i like so heres a pic of three different variations on the color im goin with for my top

COlors

im thinkin im gonna go with the one all the way to the right, its got more of a gold color i want

lemme kno what you think

MzI

o yea forgot to add, there are a couple coats of lacquer on there but its not wetsanded or ne thing so its not super glossy

wow the guitar is really starting to look very good!!

especially that mark or sign ... on your headstock, the pictures with the tuners installed also look surprisignly good!

(and mostly I don't mind how the tuners look)

have you got any idea what pickup your gonna put in the bridge position??

thanx, as for the pickup im really not sure, more then likely itll b a duncan tho, ive been thinkin bout a couple different ones like a jb or a jazz or a 59, sumthing thats well rounded for both rhythm and leads and i may also throw in a coil tap for versatility but its all still up in the air right now so im totally open to any suggestions anyone has

MzI

sprayin is now done, im just waitin till tomarrow mornin to wet sand and polish it out then ill put all the parts on and its off to the guitar shop to get set up whichll prolly take bout a week and then i finally get to play it

any ways heres some pics there not the greatest but theyll do for now til its finished

enjoy

MzI