59 V

MzI

so finally well after a year i have actually started work on my 59 V project, i started it last january or 03 and was supposed to be my first guitar but things got complicated with the neck i tried to buy and a short summer so im finally gettin around to it on my spring break and ill prolly finish it over the summer,

sum specs:

Gibson 59 Flying V body

Mahogany back

Flamed maple top

Black Walnut neck thru prolly 3 or 5 piece

24 frets

strings thru

no clue bout finishin yet gotta experiment more first

so far i have glued the two back pieces together and routed em, neck step is to rout the channel for the neck once i figure out all the dimensions for the neck which will prolly b tonight

heres 2 pictures of what i got so far

Body

Tear out

the tear out is alil hard to see the pic aint great and the tear out isnt too bad tho easy fix with a lil 2 part wood putty

thats all for now

MzI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Looks great. Keep us posted. I'd love to know how she goes.

Also, I love the way you batched up the grain like Gibon did on the Korina ones, not the way the do the mahogany ones.

is was easier to match em up cuz i bought wood that wasnt wide enough, it would have been a pain findin really wide pieces of mahogany really straight grained like i got unles i were to go on ebay

i glued my 5 piece neck up a lil while ago so once i find some batteries for my camera ill take sum pics and post em

MzI

• 2 months later...

heres some more pics of my progress, i ran the neck blank thru the jointer so its now square on all four sides, all my cut lines are laid out cept a couple like the truss rod which im a lil confused on right now so im researchin and surfin the site for the info i need, i also figured out my control cavity and its drawn on the body along with the pocket for the neck, thats about it for now, for the weekend im hopin to get the fret board cut and slotted, possibly inlayed too and get the truss rod routed and in place, i dont see that as too much work i just hafta make a couple tools and templates, more pics to come as i make some more progress, i have work to do on the house unfortuanetly so either way ill b doin work on sumthing

Link thingy

theres just one link to all the pics im too lazy right now to provide individual links

MzI

more pics yes more pics, today i started workin on my scarf joint, i got the angle cut and i glued up a two piece blank to use as the headstock itself, of course i didnt take pics yet and im too lazy to walk down two flights of stairs, sorry pics of it will be up tomarrow, the other thing i did today was resaw my bolivian rosewood and measure out all the frets,

Link 1

link 2

the second one is a lil bit blurry

i wasnt quite comfortable with slotting it so ill do it tomarrow its late any ways i dont wanna screw it up

i also started to work on my control cavity on the body nothin major their so no pics yet,

ill be doing more work tomarrow cuz i have no work cuz its a holdiay o yea

MzI

pictures pictures more pictures, i spent most of the day workin on the guitar, i got the fret board slotted and most of the inlays all marked out, i hafta mark the 12 and 24 th fret inlays, then ill b done with that for the night, i still hafta make my radius sanding blocks, i also made my scarf joint and glued it up, the piece i used for the headstock looks a lil messy right now but should clean up nice once i start shaping the neck and headstock

heres the link cuz i dont feel like posting like 7 or 8 different links

clink me <----

ill prolly route the truss rod channel and start shaping the neck this week and hopefully start gettin the body together next weekend

MzI

you clink sumthin by typing too fast and not checkin over what ur doin hahahaha, yea sorry bout the misspellin,

im in love with that fretboard cant wait to see it when its on the guitar, im goin with small 5mm dot inlays so it wont take away from the wood too much

MzI

another update, i routed my truss rod channel, i also finished the inlays but i still havent taken pics of the fret board lazy me o well, i do have pics of the truss rod route, tomarrow will be rough shaping of the neck and mayb radiusing the fretboard

thats it for now, yes i kno some of them are not upright i keep forgetin to rotate em when i shrink em down

more to come tomarrow as usual

MzI

im in love with that fretboard cant wait to see it when its on the guitar, im goin with small 5mm dot inlays so it wont take away from the wood too much

go classical, dont place any dots excpet for the side dots, because your wood is too darn beatufill, plus if you play and sit correctly, your not supposed to see the front of the fretboard.

too late i already did the inlays, they are only 5 mm tho so they are more of like accents they dont take much from the wood, tho i still have a lot of rosewood left, i bought a whole block of it, i usually play standin tho ill post some pics of it tomarrow with the inlays

MzI