Binding size

Here are 2 examples of 5-layer bound Teles, using both Stew-Mac router cutter bearing bits and Stew-Mac binding. This is more Gibson-looking, but figured it would give you an idea...

The Blue one I'm going to rip it all off (yes, I boo-boo'ed it) and switch to the .120 7-layer depth and use Pearl binding.

Should be Suh-Weet! :D

BlueTele.jpg

Coco-Tele.jpg

Here are 2 examples of 5-layer bound Teles, using both Stew-Mac router cutter bearing bits and Stew-Mac binding. This is more Gibson-looking, but figured it would give you an idea...

The Blue one I'm going to rip it all off (yes, I boo-boo'ed it) and switch to the .120 7-layer depth and use Pearl binding.

Should be Suh-Weet! B)

Heh... I looked at the myrtle, and thought 'that cutaway binding looks sloppy for a perfectionist like Doug'... then I read your comment and my faith was restored :D Will you have to completely refinish the guitar if you rebind?

BTW, the coco binding looks flawless... I hate binding cutaways, but love double-cut guitars...I'm blessed.... and cursed... and blessed and cursed :D

Yup, everything I do is Nitro.

Will you have to completely refinish the guitar if you rebind?

I could just run the binding router bit over the binding to strip it all off and basically hope the lacquer doesn't chip off and take chips of the blue finish with it, I've never really had any chipping problems in the past with my router bits, so I could probably sneak it thru...

...but I'm going to refinish it anyway. I put a small dose of red in with the blue, it's actually -very- slightly purple-ish, and this time I want to go the 'aqua' look, using green (yellow actually) instead of red to 'lean' the blue a tiny bit, so it will lean slightly towards a carriburst type of coloring rather than a purple. Very very subtle tho, nothing extreme, I just want that hint of aqua coloring in it while retaining most of the nice dark blue.

I remember it was late fall when I was working on that, and I was rushing things a bit trying to squeeze it thru before winter set in...another Retardo Montalban moment. :D

Strummer...You shouldn't have any problem with the .090 binding.....060 is just a little easier to work with. You may want to do a "dry fit" to help pre-shape the binding to the tighter curves of the cut-aways. Binding has some memory to it ....,,this will provide a bit of insurance when you tape to the inside of the curves....be sure to be generous with the binding tape......better to use a little more tape than to find some separation between the top and the binding later.

Good Luck!

Greg