PRS Copy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, I couldn't wait to se it finished. I gto a question on the neck, is it possible to taper the bottom of it so the you don't see the sharp lines. also get better fret access. Or will this weaken the neck joint? I love it just that the lines on the bottom of the neck don't flow as good as the nicely carved body. ( I'm running to Sears to get one of those bits. Even if I onle use it once.) :D

I assume you're talking about that nasty heel? The answer to your question is yes, it is possible, and actually smart, and won't weaken the neck joint at all. The only reason I did not eliminate this portion entirely is the guy its for wanted it exactly like the PRS style necks, which, includes the nasty heel.

Heel, thats exactly what I was talking about. If it was mine Iwould have requested like that. If thats how the PRS comes, I don't know why people pay so much for them, I haven't had the pleasure to play one, but I think they are over rated, they are between the LP and a Fender, sweet tone from the LP and I guess comfort of the fender. I will go next weekend to Guitar center to check a few guitars, need to get the feel of them before ordering one. I will be trying the Santane SE (PRS) but I'm incline to get the ESP LTD F250 or Viper 400.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I'm going to make my own PRS copy soon and I was wondering if you had your own site, MKG because I can't view your pictures. Also, would you think I'm good with a 1" piece of mahogany and 3/4" piece of figured maple????

Thanks,

Matt

BTW, since I can't EDIT my previous post, keep in mind that Mitch took his measurements off of his friend's CE22 and used 'em to make a Custom 22. If you want to make a McCarty you should try to find one at a music store and measure that because it's thicker than a CU22.

Thanks, I know this was old, but sounds amazing from the comments. I did a ratio with a picture on the PRS site, and I'm goin with what I think (1 1/4" mahogany with 3/4" carved curly maple), and I got the other measurements, it's always nice to double check. Maybe I'll email him for some questions. I'm also gonna try out putting a rotary switcher in should be nice!