montreal wood shops

ultraman

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll have more luck with the Yellow pages and some phone calls than with the forum. I can't think of one regular that's from Montreal (not that I know all the regulars or anything).

If you call a place like Lee Valley tools, a carpenter, or some other related business, you'll likely be able to dig up one or two leads, and when you follow up on those leads, you might get a few more. Sooner than later, you'll have found your wood source. I found mine right down the road...called... er... "The Wood Source"! But ultimately I ended up buying my wood from A & M because at least prices and shipping were within Canada.

Greg

Langevin & Boivert on Papineau street is the best place in Montreal for wood. I bought a piece of mahogany big enough to get a body and two necks out of it for 70$CAD + taxes.

They've got a huge samples rooms with pieces ready to take away and specialize in selling hand and power tools. If you don't find it in the showroom they've got plenty of all kinds of other woods. They'll give you a quote right away on whatever you want and will also joint and thickness it.

If youre looking for maple, you might also want to check out home depot type of shops. I found a piece of 3/4" x 4" x 6' of flamed maple for 13$ at Reno-Depot on galerie d'anjou blvd. (They don't make a difference wether its curly, plain or flamed) if you have a look through the stocks you might see something interesting.

I don't know any place where you can rent out time on machines but I would definitely look in the "Pages jaunes"

I can't think of one regular that's from Montreal (not that I know all the regulars or anything).

It's also hard to find out where the regulars are from since the locations got deleted under the name tags :D

Ultraman, back in december (when I was back home on X-mas holiday) I went to Stephenson guitars (Luthier) on Crescent street to buy keys for the bass i'm building, he also sold me some carbon fiber rods and let me see his work room. Who knows, if you ask nicely enough he might give you some tips on things you're looking for.