non-floating FR style tremelo's?

Hi :D

What is the deal with these? Ive been told this old bridge-less guitar ive bought is set up for a gotoh floyd rose lic trem, but ive noticed it doesnt have any sort of routing going on behind the trem bar cavity.. so it basically looks like a classic strat trem situation only with some mounting posts.

So is this basically just a non-floating tremelo? so it cant raise the pitch of the strings, only lower the pitch?

Thanks

- Dan

i beleive you're correct, the spings are to be tightened so that the "neutral" position is where the bottom of the bridge sits on the face of the guitar, course you COULD, raise the bridge up (post) then shim the neck for an angle and adjust the pickups if you wanted a bit of up pitching

i beleive you're correct, the spings are to be tightened so that the "neutral" position is where the bottom of the bridge sits on the face of the guitar, course you COULD, raise the bridge up (post) then shim the neck for an angle and adjust the pickups if you wanted a bit of up pitching

thats what i did on my strat, when i converted ist to a kahler, works good, but the uppitch is not very much, just about a halftone... actually better than none

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, the gotohs are decent, but I have experiences very fast wear on the knife edges. Mine lasted 8 months. Go with an OFR or shaller or even a shaller copy. I do have a gold shaller copy in the classifieds.

you COULD, raise the bridge up (post) then shim the neck for an angle and adjust the pickups if you wanted a bit of up pitching

actually, many if not most locking trem guitars were built this way in the mid-late 80s before ibanez pioneered the recessed trem routing. the mid 80s charvels and jacksons had angled necks and non-recessed trems so you could pull back plenty, and many 80s Kramers had tall necks that weren't angled, but you could still crank the trem up some before it hit the body.

the only locking trem guitars purposely built to have the trems dive only that i know of are EVH's guitars. going back even before the Floyd existed and he used non-locking Strat trems, he's always had the back of the trem resting on the guitar body or with a quarter wedged between them.

Well, the gotohs are decent, but I have experiences very fast wear on the knife edges. Mine lasted 8 months. Go with an OFR or shaller or even a shaller copy. I do have a gold shaller copy in the classifieds.

are the shaller and official floyd rose ones non-floating as well? and wouldnt i have some issues trying to install either of those into a guitar set up for a gotoh non-floating floyd?

- Dan

Floating refers to spring tension and/or a recessed route. No big issue there. The trem route comparison chart at the top of the section will be of help to you.

You kinda have it too Aaron. A vintage style strat trem can be either depending on spreing tension, without affecting the action. Floyds are the same to a point. I guess I need to get some pics to say what we are trying to say :D