Custom Shop Parts Pickups

kings_x

• 1 month later...

I FINALLY got these pickups. The website said 4 weeks but it was more like 6 or 7.

They are shipped in a clear plastic case and the pickup sits in foam rubber.

The pickups themselves seem to be solidly constructed. Long shielded leads. The windings are covered by black electrical tape.

The "crome" cover looks good, however it is made of plastic. The plastic is thick and seems pretty solid. It looks like metal until you touch it.

I didn't measure the exact dimensions but it is about 1/8" to 1/4" less wide than the Seymour Duncan P-90 dimensions.

It did not come with mounting screws.

I don't know what it sounds like yet. Once I get them mounted I'll post a sound file and give my opinion.

So far, for $25 they look like a good buy. The sound will be the true test.

I picked up some Custom Shop Parts Humbuckers - Classic PAF Style Guitar Pickups in Gold from an eBay auction. No mounting screws with mine either... but they did appear to be in a metal casing. Not height adjustable, since they are soldered into position and the metal casing restricts them. I don't have a jack for my project guitar yet, so the electronics aren't entirely hooked up to the mock-up to see how these sound...

Since I can't really adjust the height, I was wondering if the slope of the humbuckers are supposed to slant toward the neck... I'm guessing that the higher end of the pickups should be near the tremolo and the lower end of each would be by the neck. Would that be correct? Usually you can adjust these things right up to the strings. They do certainly look great with the rest of my copper/gold hardware though. This guitar is all about looks anyway and I figured they would work this way when I bid on them.

If I had to guess, I'd say these are the same things that Kramer, Agile, and all the other mega-cheap guitar makers use. That's not totally bad as long as they're not microphonic as hell, especially for the price.

• 1 month later...

I finally installed these pickups in the guitar I built and they sound great. No microphonics or hum and they have a good P-90 sound. For the price, you can't beat them. The only drawbacks, as I said in a previous post, are the lack of installation screws. They don't come with any and the pickup covers are plastic but they look nice.

I'll try posting a sound file sometime soon.