16, My 1st Guitar

Hello all im 16 years old and live in ireland. I cut out a solid body design simular to the guitar in the tutorial on the home page, i think its a jem or something.

the wood i used is Teak, really nice to work with. i routed out the cavitys all from the Back so there will be no scrach plate.

I dont want to paint over it, i would like to put Clear Varnish or Lacqer over it.

What is the Best way to do that?

i didnt put the Handle on the guitar, cause i think thats what ruins it, well thats what i think anyways.

i would like any ideas or Sugestions for Cavity Covers, i have done out a design for the cavity cover but it looks Shite, And what do you sugest that i make the Cavity Covers out of?

These Pictures are bout 3 mounths old, i have shaped the guitar much nicer, and also the holes for the strings to go through are now straight.

Please Write your Comments or Bad Things About the Guitar.

PS. the neck on the guitar is not the Real One. i know it looks Shite, cause i took it off an owl Guitar.

Back of it.

Guitar%202.JPG

front of it.

Guitar%205.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work, especially for a first one. For the cavity covers try some 1/8" wood of the same type or a conteasting color.

I use spray lacquer - sometimes in aerosol cans but lately with a spray gun.

BTW, smaller pictures would be good if you can. You can check the size by previewing your post before you post it.

Hey Santa Claws, where abouts are you in Ireland? I'm in Dundalk. Where abouts did you get the wood? The routing is a bit over the top but for a 16 year old's first guitar, it ain't bad. Better than any I've made and I haven't made any!!!

dundalk, i know it well, :D i did quite a few jetski races there.

I live in Mullingar, Westmeath

i got a Piece of wood from a Hardware shop, called Mullingar Hardware

the wood cost me 40 Euro's cause he Finger Joined it aswell down the middle.

i think having a Router is a Great Yoke cause, How Else Would ya Do it? its me dads anyways.

But Making a BOdy for a guitar is easy, i think anyways.

i cut it with a Band-Saw in School, and worked great, then i used a Air Compressor Sander to Get the Edges all Nice and Smooth. and i will show ya more pics when its done.

Have you got Messanger feylya?

Sweet baby JINGLES those are some big pictures. I'm on broadband and it STILL took a while to download. :D

As for the back, I don't know one thing from another, but if it were ME, I would consider just doing one big-ass cover that covers the entire lower half of the back (or heck, even the whole back, just for aesthetics), more or less following the general outline of all the cavities. You could either countersink with some careful router work, or even just put it right over top and 'tolerate' the lip of the cover.

That's just me.

Greg

yeah, i think routing an OutLine 1/8" Deep around the Cavity's.

and i think ill make the Cavity Cover's out of The Same Wood i used for the body of the Guitar. (In this Case, its Teak) and make it 1/8 thick so it goes Flush With the Body of the Guitar.

but i have one problum.

i only have a little bit of the Teak wood left. its roughly 8" x 5" x 2"

Not Very Big, But i could proubly Join it in some way.

i dont wanna spend around 20 Euro just to get my cavity Covers!

I also do MetalWork in School so i could make them out Of Aluminuim or Brass or Bacicly any metal.

i made one cavity cover before out of aluminium but didnt look great at all.

Ps ill post more Pics of my guitar Later on, ill also make the images much smaller, and resize the ones that are there.

Thanks Lads, Keep Posting any idea's about the guitar or Sugestions.

"do i have to use wood filer to Seal the grain, before i laquer? "

Don't know about teak - never worked with it before.

Teak is an "oily" wood, often used for outdoor purposes because it can withstand the elements... Oily woods can be difficult to finish. I've had the best luck by wiping down the surface with acetone, helping it to dry quickly with some compressed air...then immeadiatly applying my sealer coat. If you wait too long, the oils will come back to the surface and marginalize the adhesion of your sealer.

You may want to consider just an oil finish - then possibly a wax coat if necessary..it would be easier to apply and you're reducing the potential for problems.

the pictures i have there arnt great to what the guitar looks like now, but ill up load them later on.

i was thinking of just putting Black Plastic over the cavitys, just the Black plastic you would normaly Get.

i have ordered a Neck for the guitar off of ebay.

here is what it looks Like:

27_1_b.JPG

bc_1.JPG

its a Strat Type neck, i hope it will look good, i think a maple neck dosent look good on my guitar.

What do ye think?

No I haven't made any guitars yet.

Anyways......

Right, I'll try to explain.

Guitar%202.JPG

You see on that^ picture how the bit you have screwed the neck onto is curved? And on a strat or a tele it's square? And you are planning on putting a strat style neck on. Similar to the one that you put on to show us. I was saying that to make best use of that neck joint, you may want to remove some of the heel of the neck (the thick bit where the screws go). I can't explain it any better than that, so perhaps someone else can if you don't get what I'm on about.

oh yeah sorry i get you, i will take a bit off it allright, its just on there to test out how its plays, but yeah i will take a bit off of it, but the guitar plays Great.

By any chance, have you any guitar knobs?

hey santa claws, hows it goin ? im from dublin , nice to see another irishman here! :D

im on messenger too, johndavey@hotmail.com

thats a really nice bit of work youve done there! , i especially like the rear router pickups... good job B)

john.