Guitar Design II

After considering what most of you said I aplied it to the new design.

Please comend on this one as well.

Image5.jpg

Image4.jpg

Thanks for all the previous coments. I apreciated them.

(note: the drawings on it about the pickup placement etc. are just rough scetches. I will do some more accurate drawings after I decide on the guitar outline.

Sorry for the flash on the picture...flash + glossy paper it is not good)

Right. I really, really, REALLY, wish I had a digital camera, because then I could just upload the picture to show you what I've done, but I can't. Basically, I traced the horizontal guitar off of my screen, and messed with it. I discovered I was right about the waist (in my opinion at any rate). What I did is I made the waist thinner. I cut further into the body at both top and bottom (when looking at the horizontal picture) and made the upper left bit marginally smaller to match, and it looks perfect. I'll try and do something with "Paint" on Windows to show you. (I don't have photoshop either).

you wont be able to sit and play.... hope you like standing

But when I get the template and place it on my legs to "play" it fits me perfeclty. (Btw I place the quitar on my left leg. Its more comftable for me than my right leg)

Yes, but you dont have a neck hanging off the end of it do you?

But when I get the template and place it on my legs to "play" it fits me perfeclty. (Btw I place the quitar on my left leg. Its more comftable for me than my right leg)

you mean there will be a stability problem?...neck heavy guitar? I place it on my lap and when I continue with my hand and imagine an extencion of the neck it fits me. I must say I hold the guitar in a sifferend way when I sit down than others I have seen. I sit back and it leans on me as it rests on my left leg and I wear the strap thats holds it from sliding.

also the waist is excactly the same size as a stratocaster clone I have. I just measured it and it is the same.

yeh, maybe, but i still think it looks kinda fat. however, if you think it's fine, then go for it, it's your guitar, not mine!

Andreas - did you read my reply earlier?

I was trying to point out the other issues (other than just the look of it) that should be considered when designing the body. I think Rhoads and others are correct in that you might find it difficult to play. That's not even considering the balance issue I was talking about earlier.

Andreas - did you read my reply earlier?

I was trying to point out the other issues (other than just the look of it) that should be considered when designing the body. I think Rhoads and others are correct in that you might find it difficult to play. That's not even considering the balance issue I was talking about earlier.

I did read your reply and thats why I draw a new one different. I tried to balance it more and it does look more balanced. I also changed more things to help its playability..widening the cutthroughs is one of the things changed. I can`t see what you say that it cannot be playable....When I try to fit it on me its comftable and if it was made of wood to be thicker it would be even more comftable.

you mean there will be a stability problem?...neck heavy guitar? I place it on my lap and when I continue with my hand and imagine an extencion of the neck it fits me. I must say I hold the guitar in a sifferend way when I sit down than others I have seen. I sit back and it leans on me as it rests on my left leg and I wear the strap thats holds it from sliding.

ABSOLUTELY

I did read your reply and thats why I draw a new one different. I tried to balance it more and it does look more balanced. I also changed more things to help its playability..widening the cutthroughs is one of the things changed. I can`t see what you say that it cannot be playable....When I try to fit it on me its comftable and if it was made of wood to be thicker it would be even more comftable.

Oh, OK - the main thing was to make sure you were planning for all of these things. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is just going for a certain shape and is not remembering everything else that will be affected by it.

Just to be sure - when I'm talking about balance - I mean the overall balance of the instrument (with neck,...). It's hard to be exact but you obviously would want to have it close to being balanced. Since it seems much larger than a "normal" SG, it's hard to say what that's going to feel like when it's put together.

That's why I was suggesting "tweaking" and existing body design that you know is well balanced but it was just a suggestion. Sometimes it's fun just to try new things but building these things takes so much time and money that I'd hate to just say "yeah - go for it - looks good" without mentioning some of these things.

I hope it works out for you and turns out to be something you can be proud of and have fun with.

What I do to test if it is stable I take that stratocaster clone I have and I place the plan over it and see how much it differs on one side and I try to make it have about the same amount of wood extenting. Of course if you think that the cavities will be diferent...there is alot of difference in moments in a different shape, the neckthrou design will combine wood of different densities makes the stability issue realy hard to figure out.

I liked the second revision of the original thread better, but that's just me.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but I'll echo what others have already said: these are all just subjective opinions, and I'm sure none of us offer them as a personal criticism, but rather to help you improve the guitar's design.

For the second revision on the orginal post, it still had a fat enough backside, which I thought looked better-- also, I suspected you'd be playing with the neck angled upward (though I didn't anticipate using the whole other leg), and it looked like at that angle it would indeed be balanced.

In the current incarnation, I have to agree with Rhoads about the physical balance issues; but I also feel that the front bout is aesthetically dominant over the back, which is what's probably creating that nagging "what's wrong?" sensation with most people. We are accustomed to seeing the back bout dominate, and I can't even think of any in which the front dominates. So it's throwing people's perceptions for a loop and leaving me at least with the sensation that it's not visually OR physically balanced.

Greg

I tried to make it more balanced by moving its legs and chaning the whole thing in a way and it looked almost the same as an SG with a bend ass. I love the SG design hence the thorned cutthroughs but It doesnt confort me since I play at an angle and I have to strugle to get it in a position I can play. The design I made was for my playing and it simply fell in the correct spot in my legs when sitting down. ( dont think dirty now :D ) I think Ill try to plan it out on a sheet of plywood or something harder to get a better feeling of how it will actually be. Sorry for being anoying B)