Ansul's Sustainer

nonamemx

Well.

I have just returned from Radio Shack with the supplies needed for Ansul's sustainer project.

I happened to realize that I have bought a small Piezo Buzzer. Is that the same thing as a piezo speaker? Or does it just buzz?

If its not what im looking for, cant I just jack one out of a stolen pair of American Airlines Headphones?

Thanks and reply with haste!

aaaaaaaaand. . . . . . . :D

A piezo buzzer is what you want. The bit to use is the metal disk inside with the ceramic material laminated to it and the wires soldered on.

A piezo buzzer is just a cheap piezo speaker. It won't just buzz if you apply audio waveforms to it but it will be a bit limited if you are thinking in hi-fi terms.

Keith

Well.

I have just returned from Radio Shack with the supplies needed for Ansul's sustainer project.

I happened to realize that I have bought a small Piezo Buzzer. Is that the same thing as a piezo speaker? Or does it just buzz?

If its not what im looking for, cant I just jack one out of a stolen pair of American Airlines Headphones?

Thanks and reply with haste!

aaaaaaaaand. . . . . . . :D

yes and as a matter of fact heres a faq on the sustainor.

http://geocities.com/austenfantanio/weedin...aqsustainor.htm

A piezo buzzer is just a cheap piezo speaker. It won't just buzz if you apply audio waveforms to it but it will be a bit limited if you are thinking in hi-fi terms.

I don't think that's right - I think a buzzer is designed to run from a DC voltage and produce a specific frequency. You're gonna need a speaker for the sustainer to work, unless I'm badly mistaken. Ansil, help us out.

i have used those little plastic speakers that are billed as piezo speakers.. but i dont' htink thats waht they are. thats just what the old packaging ratshack had them in..

i usually use a little speaker that fits comfortably under the picups, two small headphone speakers work great...

I think a buzzer is designed to run from a DC voltage and produce a specific frequency

The piezo would have to have some electronics attached to it to work as a buzzer with dc applied to it. ie an oscillator to apply a square wave to the piezo bit otherwise it wont vibrate at all with just DC. The "active" bit in all piezo's is the metal plate (usually a disk" with the crystal laminated to it, when a voltage is applied across one plane the crystal will bend in the other plane at 90 degrees to the voltage plane. DC will cause it to bend and stay in that position AC will cause it to vibrate at whatever frequency (within reason) that is applied.

The opposite also applies: if you distort the crystal in one plane a voltage will be generated across the other, which is how the pickup concept works.

Keith

Keith, I bow to your superior knowledge of electronics (and that wasn't sarcasm), but I think you tend to forget that you're dealing with noobs a lot of the time. If you tell them that a buzzer will work for a speaker, you have to also make clear that they'll have to disassemble and rewire it to get it to work as a speaker. I realize that's no problem for you, but a lot of beginners are going to have serious problems doing it without fairly specific instructions. I'm not taking a shot at you, I just remember the frustration I felt when I tried to follow advice I didn't fully understand (like when I wired up that power amp perfectly, except for using the 22gauge wire in the power supply, and the 14 gauge in the signal path :D ).

Does anyone know of a sound byte of Ansil's sustainer mod?

I have been using a 30mm "piezo transducer" which has no electronics in it and is easy to get apart.

Does anyone have any other sources of piezo materials. I have been cutting them up for some experiments but you dont get much out of them cause they're round!

nonamemx

Give us some feedback on it's performance.

:DB):D:D:DB)B)

i dunno how to deal with the buzzer. So i will set it aside.

I have cracked open a set of American Airlines headphones, and gotten 2, 1'' mini speakers. They have a clear plastic cone with a little metal shiny center. I believe its piezo. ran a cd played through the headphones and I could hear the music in through the pickups on of my other guitars.

So I believe those will work. Does it matter which side I face the speaker? I think I should put the cone facing the pickup.

I will post sounclips on soundclick.com when im done. If I can get it to work. Im very anxious to hear it.. . .

Does anyone know a good site that will define capacitor symbols?

Ah jeez.

I have given up on the sustainer. All it does is make extreem feedback and pickup a local radio station.

So, I wired in the FRED and Air Norton in and am happy with that.

way to stick with it there, cap'n. lol. i understand totally, i have so many projects i've just "screwed" and set aside until i knew more of what i was doing...

sorry it didnt' work for you man.. i will have to do another one and see if i can find some tweaks for all of you, mine kicks..

How does it work? What does it sound like? Does it sustain after the string is stopped? or just as long as the string is moving?

I may have messed up several places. I used a 500K pot instead of a 1K pot. I may have mucked up the soldering of the IC, my iron's tip was covered in crud.

My speaker may not have been powerfull enough. It may not even be Piezo.

I didn't have the right capacitor values. I will try it again later. I just wanted to hear my new pickups, which sound great.

its ansil.. :D and unfortuneately i dont' even have the original schematic for it after teh computer crash i lost nearly everything..

This sustainer like thing you're talking about is similar to "Fernandes Sustainer" in what it is supposed to do?

If so, it looks interesting...

there is a faq on my site that has all the sustainor questions i have received so far.

i also posted this on the forum here under brians original post i belive for the new tutorials.. i would give you the link but when i lost my hard drives i lost all my links too.. its still up and running htough if someone wants to post the link that has it..

thanks LK but actually i did a Faq on it too.. i am lookin for it now..