Classical Music

Sacred

I started playing some with tabs of Classical Music, doing ok so far, needed a change, anyone here play Classical Guitar?

I got some nylon strings for the sound, I really like the sound and feel of them, I guess I just need a change of style for a while. Any tips tricks, hints would be appreciated.

So far I have Greensleeves and Romance Anonimo memorized, both from unknown authors, it blows my mind that these songs are so great and we dont know who wrote them.

Anyway having alot of fun with it, also it seems to fill my soul with the good vibes here on earth.

I guess after 23 years of playing Rock and Heavy Metal I am finally expanding my mind a bit.

i took some classical lessons last summer for school, what a help, i improved my speed greatly playin on the electric, i got a book that has like basics from like how to pick to scales and exercises and actual songs, really helps, even tho i had been playin for 4 years at the time i was still learnin new stuff

MzI

hey, im into classical, dont claim to be muxh of a classical guitarist, but i try to learn some classical pieces... i would reccomend Prelude in D by Bach - nicec piece. Funnly enough i played that Romanze piece, i have heard someone say it was John Williams, but i tell them tat they lie!!! written mid 1800's i think! Have you tried Pachelbels canon in D? another one to try. OH while i remember!!! Hector Villa-Lobos (sp?) - This stuff is hard!! try some of his Etudes, hehe they are hard! When you get stuck do what i do... grab the Ibanez, crank the amp and play loud heavy metal. hehe!

Good luck

Mike

When I first started playing, I took Classical lessons for about 6 years. My playing doesn't really show it now for all the rock that I do now. I still love that sound of Nylon (as I mentioned in another thread).

Classical helped me mostly with the dicipline. Unlike rock, it's not that open to interpretation. It's a much more regimented style.

As for something to try out, I would recommend anything by JS Bach because most people know the melody already and they are pleased to hear you play something that they know.

Glad you've found a new inspriation!

If you use PowerTab, check out the Acoustic Power repository. There's a whole section for classical style. The first classical piece I learned was Bouree in Em by Bach. Well, I first learned the Yngwie version by ear and eventually learned to play it correctly with the sheet music :D. There are a lot of simple Bach pieces which sound pretty cool on guitar.

I'm actually a classical guitar teacher and I've always been a fan of the instrument. I'd recommend having a go at classical to any guitarist as it's always nice to look at new styles it can be great for getting out of a rut and gives you something very different to play.

My suggestions for composers would be Fernado Sor, Matteo Carcassi and Francisco Tarrega. They wrote some great tunes at a variety of difficulty levels (including some excellent beginner studies). Their music is used all the time for commercials, tv, etc. so you may find you recognise it if you play it.

Overall my favourite guitar composer has to be Leo Brouwer, he has written some amazing stuff unfortunately most of it is very difficult to play correctly and may sound a bit too modern for some folks.

Jon

My suggestions for composers would be Fernado Sor, Matteo Carcassi and Francisco Tarrega. They wrote some great tunes at a variety of difficulty levels (including some excellent beginner studies). Their music is used all the time for commercials, tv, etc. so you may find you recognise it if you play it.

The Acoustic Power site I posted above has a whole section for Carcassi:

http://www.acousticpower.com/carcassi.html

Sor and Tarrega pieces are present but not as well represented as Carcassi :D.

So far I have Greensleeves and Romance Anonimo memorized, both from unknown authors, it blows my mind that these songs are so great and we dont know who wrote them

I read somewhere that it is thought that Henry VIII of England wrote Greensleeves. Though with going through six wives I'm surprised he found the time!

Keith

I don't know if you can read or not sacred but there is a great book Called Sor Studies thats edited by Andre Segovia. It comes with a CD as well. It will take you from very simple all the way to mind boggling difficulty. That was our text when I took classical guitar in college.

persoanlly im more of a jazzer however when i improvise in like A mixolydian Gypsy scale I like to use lots of arpeggio patterns. Especially when you use it in a chromatic way it sounds very interesting. learn the diminished scales and some exotic scales. then i would pick up the pieces.

learn the diminished scales and some exotic scales. then i would pick up the pieces.

I wouldn't waste your time learning "exotic scales" until you've learnt your pentatonics and modes inside out (which should take a few years to learn them fluently). Once you know your modes well you'll find you don't need to to learn exotic scales as you can just relate them what you already know.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice, I am still having alot of fun with it, I did find out that I CAN NOT put nylon strings on my Ovation, ah well was worth a try, a guy here at the local music store offered me a cheap little classical guitar with nylon strings for $80.00 canadian, so it came to be around $57.00 US, I told him yes, I dont need anything expensive, just something to sit around the house with, anyway the neck is a good size for my hands especially since I have found alot of tabs that have some great stretching exercises LOL, its so funny going from Heavy Metal to this , I am learning that really all that stuff I played over the years never really got me too far, mind expansion that is, this feels way deeper to me and the sounds that come with it are so feeling and expressive, as if your whole heart and soul comes with the tune.

mind expansion that is, this feels way deeper to me and the sounds that come with it are so feeling and expressive, as if your whole heart and soul comes with the tune.

i have to agree there! i love playing metal and so on... i actually am most at home with neo classical/shred - this is why i am trying to learn the classical guitar more, it is such a melodic and beautiful sound when playing a nylon classical on a tune, even random stuff can be soo cool!

Mike