I never thought of this

ajb

Where does the word humbucker come from, did they mkae it up or is there a reasone for it, it sound like a word i woul write on a bio test as a guess. :D

A humbucker is two coils that are wound opposite of each other. The result is most of the noise of one coil is canceled by the other (and vice versa). The "magic" is the signal produced by the vibrating string is only partially canceled which results in a warmer "fatter" tone associated with humbuckers.

mdr

I believe the humbucker's creator, Seth Lover, coined the term

the "hum-bucker" was actually first found on microphones. there was a switch that would produce a "negative" microphone field that would phase cancel out everything except what was coming from one side only. the issues they would have would be area noise, EMF noise, and radio interference. now, it's a standard in how microphones are shaped. Cardiod, omni-directional, uni-directional, etc, it's how they're aimed, the switch was just done away with.

Advanced Audio Production 2. thank you very much Greg Skolaski a.k.a. Gregory K (for those of you that listen(ed) to Nashville radio).

I believe the humbucker's creator, Seth Lover, coined the term

the "hum-bucker" was actually first found on microphones. there was a switch that would produce a "negative" microphone field that would phase cancel out everything except what was coming from one side only. the issues they would have would be area noise, EMF noise, and radio interference. now, it's a standard in how microphones are shaped. Cardiod, omni-directional, uni-directional, etc, it's how they're aimed, the switch was just done away with.

Advanced Audio Production 2. thank you very much Greg Skolaski a.k.a. Gregory K (for those of you that listen(ed) to Nashville radio).

Well. Seth Lover said that his pickup was a hum-bucker, so I guess thats where HE got the term. . .