deciding on neck construction.

while I might have decided on body-shape for my project, I still have to decide what construction I should use. It's going to be either bolt-on or neck-through and both have their advantages (and disadvantages).

neck-through: supreme fret access but if it breaks I'm f****d. and it's harder to make on my own (finding the right wood, laminating and cutting it). and the neck angle has to be planned from the start. I won't be able to swap between ebony, rosewood and maple fingerboards every time my mind changes as to what looks and sounds the best.

bolt-on: sturdy and allows me to just get a new neck if it would ever break. plus I'd only have to make the body (as opposed to the whole thing). but fret access isn't as good. and I could still mess up the neck pocket and render the whole thing useless. but the neck angle doesn't need to be determined until it's time to rout the neck pocket.

what's your take on this issue?

Neck angle is a very scary concept! I would stick with some sort of aanj bolton if you're really not happy with the fretboard switching and neck angle issues. Which do you prefer: hassle-free or upperfret comfort?

Personally, i like neckthru, but the neckangle issue is always a big confusion and scariness, so at the moment i'm a bolt on man. :D

you can buy a neck thru neck from carvin or stewmac(or others)already fretted and ready to go and it is thick enough to create a neck angle if needed.(look at the ibanez s copy in the gallery to see what i mean)that might give you another option.plus they are one piece construction with 2 graphite reinforcement rods so i doubt it would break.unless you dropped it really hard but how often does that happen?(never in my 12 years of playing and i only play standing up)

ok, the decision was basically made for me this time. my girlfriend figured that for this first guitar (if it ever comes true, in which case I would start planning a neck-through version) I should just copy my '86 baretta. it makes sense since I don't have to worry about screwing up all that much.

so this weekend I cut the template for the body-shape from 7mm plywood (yeah, I'm gonna use a router to get the shape of the body). now I need to buy me some good wood for this. preferrably without spending as much as I would if I just bought me a body.

I guess the next step, after routing the body-shape, would be finding a neck. I don't think routing for the floyd and the pickups is a good idea before I have the neck so I can measure positions... :D

you can buy a neck thru neck from carvin or stewmac(or others)already fretted and ready to go and it is thick enough to create a neck angle if needed.(look at the ibanez s copy in the gallery to see what i mean)that might give you another option.plus they are one piece construction with 2 graphite reinforcement rods so i doubt it would break.unless you dropped it really hard but how often does that happen?(never in my 12 years of playing and i only play standing up)

sometimes I wish I lived in the US. as it is, I cannot really afford a neck-through neck (and if I could I'd get a local luthier to do it as I could get it exactly the way I want it). but thanks for the tip :D

I'm more worried about warping than breaking (putting the guitar in a cold car and then bringing it inside a nice warm room doesn't seem to be the best thing to do if you want to avoid those little accidents...) B)

What country are you in? Maybe we can help find a supply of wood for you :D

I'm in Borås, Sweden.

actually I know someone who used to work at a... *lost the word* eh... one of those places where trees are turned into usable planks... what's the word I'm looking for? anyway, I'm going to ask her if it's possible for people to buy wood from there.

there's also a store called GMF that sells blanks, but they cost $100 which is about as much as one of their korean strat bodies...