Fingerboard Extensions

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has made an extension or added a fret to their RG/Strat styled neck before.

Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" says that this is a pretty simple process, but I have never seen it discussed anywhere else. I ask because I am working on a strat styled guitar using odds and ends and would like to extend the exisiting fretboard by one fret (21-to-22) without tearing down the neck and creating a whole new fretboard. Any ideas?

Regards,

Chris D.

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has made an extension or added a fret to their RG/Strat styled neck before.

Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" says that this is a pretty simple process, but I have never seen it discussed anywhere else. I ask because I am working on a strat styled guitar using odds and ends and would like to extend the exisiting fretboard by one fret (21-to-22) without tearing down the neck and creating a whole new fretboard. Any ideas?

Regards,

Chris D.

I think in Melvyn's book, that picture is of a ready made 22-fret neck. So, it's on you could just slap on an existing strat guitar. It really would be simple to do that.

If you are going to convert a neck properly, you would have to remove the old fret board, and put on another one with the fretboard extension. Seems like a lot of work to me to convert a neck. But, if you are making a neck from the ground up anyway, you might as well put a longer fret board on it.

As an alternative, I've seen some of Ron Thal's guitars on his site where he took extra bits of wood to extend the fretboard. It doesn't look as professional, but it does get the job done.

beware! taking a fretboard off takes TIME! It took me 1.5 hours to steam off the top 5 frets last night. :D

Ahhhhhh been there/done that a few time's yes it seems to take forever.

I've seen a few guitar where the fret board was extended down over where the original neck pickup use to be (27 fret guitars). For me in your case I woud just make the extention attached to the body and butted up against where the natural end of the neck will be. Of course if it is a front routed electronics style body you will have to modify the pick guard a bit.