Would this work

jai

Hi, My first post here.

I make a few solid body guitars, but I use more of exotic woods and never paint them. I'm now designing a modified tele guitar and thought it would be cool if I would paint it different. My buddie said I should do something "black pearlescent".(he not even knowing much about guitars) Heres my question If I would do a black base coat and spray on a pearlescent in a clear solution, would it work, in the sense that I want to see black and when move it around it sparkels like hell! :D But if I then would clear coat it, and it hits the lights, would that shine too, eliminating the pearlescent? Any feed back of any type is appericated.

what it is is a basecoat(like your black) is sprayed on and then a coat with the pearl suspended in blender while the basecoat is still wet....blender is basically the clear medium that is tinted with pigment to give the various colors....you spray that onto the basecoat while its still wet...you can get different size flakes as you wish and spray on as much as you wish......then you just clear it like a normal guitar....once you get pearls down you can move on to graphics like ghost flames and erie dess swirls

doing pearls is more of an advanced spraying.....im not sure id waste the money if this was the first guitar you painted....you have to lay the paint down perfect since there will be no sanding

but trial and error can be expensive whe using pearl paints!

" I know about the pearlesent and the clear solution, but will the last clear coat be to shiny to see the pearlesent? "

No, sure thats how cars are painted. If anything the lacquer will add more depth to the pearlescent "flip"

Good luck with it !

john.

No, sure thats how cars are painted. If anything the lacquer will add more depth to the pearlescent "flip"

its kinda confusing non the less....lol.. ya know?... i wanna see pics of it when its done though.. i bet it will look pretty bad ass

its kinda confusing non the less....lol.. ya know?... i wanna see pics of it when its done though.. i bet it will look pretty bad ass

I've been looking around and if I do it, I'mnot going to do it. I know this guys close to me who can paint anything better than anything. He likes painting guitars and I'll just have him do it. Right now I got about 5 orders B) and school so It'll have to go on the back burner for a while anyways. At least I'll have the money after all of this to have it painted this way :D

Pearl paints are not expensive. For $35, i got 8 jam jars filled with different coloured pearls from my local spraypainter.

You can mix the pearl with the coloured paint, but it comes out more like a fine metallic than the pearl effect. In fact, a LOT of new car colours have pearl added to the colour (with it, not in the clear) to give it a nicer look. Its often called "mica" when mixed with coloured paint.

Try your local panel beater, car restorer, car respray joint. Go in there with a bunch of glass jars, and tell them you make wild guitars. They will be more than happy to supply you with the stuff. Half a glass jar will do ten or more guitars. Im still using the same 8 jars from five years ago (and they were all only just filled over half way). One half jar mixed with clear sprayed three engine bays, two guitars, and a gopher. They were Spies Hecker acrylic pearls. I believe two-pack pearl is 10% more in cost.

Spraying a guitar with pearl mixed with clear is a lot easier than people make out. Just dont mixed too much pearl in the clear, only a small amount is required (1 part pearl to 10 parts clear, put on three or so coats). Make sure to mix the spray pot every time you pick it up, as the pearls can "fall" to the bottom of the pot.