"Made in England"

Hello.

I’m a long time watcher first time poster embarking on my first guitar. I was hoping for some help with a site where I can get all the parts in one hit. Pups, truss rod, tuners, bridge, nuts and knobs :D hehe (sorry) I’m From England so I don’t really want to spend out on shipping from the US or anything like that. I’m in Hampshire so if you know of anywhere local then I’d be willing to do a bit of travelling for the right price.

I’ve got the wood for the body. It’s a lovely piece of mahogany and I’ve got to get something for the neck. I was thinking maple / mahogany / maple. It’s great have a carpenter friend who’s willing to *ahem* give me materials from his boss’ boat yard. And anything that’s not in the yard he can get at trade price.

Thanks in advance

Beard-ee B)

www.axesrus.co.uk seems quite cheap.

Craft Supplies in Buxton - phone for a catalogue - the online guitar stuff is nowhere near what they've got in the catalogue.

Touchstone Tonewoods (Surry) - good online site

David Dyke - a little more expensive but quality kit.

Alternatively...........Have a look at universal gems in the US. It's Brians, the project guitar daddy. With the pound being so strong against the dollar, it might actually work out cheaper to have the stuff sent over. It might be cheaper still if you can convince an american to buy it over there and ship it over hear as a gift. That'll wind the taxman up.

:D

For hardware and stuff, i've had good service from www.pincotts.com which is the uk arm of allparts in wycombe, friends have used www.guitarspares.com who are also in the uk.

Both have been good, but, both, at times have been out of stock.

Craft-supplies catalog is fantastic, i was up there on wednesday getting wood for my debut project and they were extremely helpful (after you had adjusted to the country pace of life!) they also have much much more wood in than they have in the catalog! it's well worth a visit, but you do have to make an appointment.

Good luck

Make one from here! Theres enough Americans around, and everyone here is friendly! It's easy to make friends.

Yeah everyone seems to be real friendly. I think that's why I've been hanging around for the last few months.

I've had a quick look at what has been said and they look good. Thanks.

Have a groovy weekend everyone :D

Hey Welcome to the forum.

I live in the uk too and i use craft supplies and dont worry about ordering stuff from america it still comes out cheaper than the uk! (*mumbles*-god damn rip off guitar shops! :D ).

These guys Seem to have reasonable prices for pups (just send em an email they reply pretty quickly) but i would rather get a buddy from america to ship em over as a gift (ALOT cheeper!)

For bridges and stuff i would go with Brian (universaljems) or a good site sum1 posted way back was Axcessories. Ive never found low profile Floyd roses so cheap ($60) but ive never ordered from them so i dont know what they are liketo shop from or how good the stuff is.

Hope this Helps

Big Tom

B)

Hi

Welcome to the forum...I have used Brian (Universal Gems) he is fantastic and very helpfull. You should also try www.guitarpartsresource.com much cheapness, They ship ANYWHERE in the world for only $5.95.

What type of guitar are you going to build ?

Have you tried building one before or is this your first ?

keep us informed

Alan

Hi,

I've got all my bits from merry olde englande, and I recommend the following spots!

Touchstone tonewoods, wd music supplies and my personal favorite (very friendly and cheap!) highly strung. They all have easy to find websites and they are all very friendly. Craft supplies are brilliant as well if you need more wood.

Happy shopping!

Damnit

why couldnt there be a good Australian supplier :D

there are a few places ive found local to me, but most are either REALLY freaky little guitar repair small businesses (how they get business i have no idea), and normal guitar shops who have guitar building stuff behind the counter.. but really have no idea what it is, so when you ask about it, they just give you a grin and say 'aww yeah i reckon thats worth about $180"

$180! for a set of tuners!

*censored*

ok im done B)

For hardware and stuff, i've had good service from www.pincotts.com which is the uk arm of allparts in wycombe, friends have used www.guitarspares.com who are also in the uk.

Both have been good, but, both, at times have been out of stock.

Craft-supplies catalog is fantastic, i was up there on wednesday getting wood for my debut project and they were extremely helpful (after you had adjusted to the country pace of life!) they also have much much more wood in than they have in the catalog! it's well worth a visit, but you do have to make an appointment.

Good luck

Be aware that Pincott's are *very* (as in **very**) expensive compared to other suppliers. They seem to have a good range of stuff, but I've not even considered them since I compared their prices with other UK suppliers.

What type of guitar are you going to build ?

Have you tried building one before or is this your first ?

This is my first attempt at anything like this so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

It isn't really any type. I did a few sketches and came up with a couple of designs but then one night I just drew a free-hand shape and then let it evolve from there. It isn't a radical design but I'm happy with it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a pic of the wood I have and I know you all like pics here!! B) I hope the come out ok, they are quite small I only have a cheapy camera.

wood_5.jpgwood_1.jpg

wood_4.jpg

The design I'd like to keep at the moment is for the headstock.....

Head_2.jpg

I think it looks pretty funky.

Beard-ee :D