Most Versatile PUs for RG

diver

those pickups dan mentioned aren't hot enough for metal.that's 99%of what i play and i got some good suggestions.

your ibanez probably has a basswood body so....

bridge- first choice-duncan dimebucker.there is nothing hotter and it also has a crisp clean tone.best articulation i have ever heard in a passive pickup.

second choice duncan invader but it's a little noisy and it isn't as good looking.

neck-59 would be great

middle-cool rails

or my best suggestion-go active-bridge 81-neck 85-middle s or sa.don't worry there is enough room in the control cavity to put a battery but wrap it in foam rubber and electric tape to keep it from making unwanted connections.and if you do go emg they all have identical volume output so you won't hear a volume difference when switching.

those are my suggestions if you like the sound of pantera,mettallica,slayer,or testament style metal(high articulation good bottom end and screaming highs)

just curious what type of metal do you play?metal covers such a broad area.i play mostly slayer and mettallica,but i also play testament,pantera,suicidal,and even some motley crue and ratt(very little of those)of course i write my own stuff which is about as aggresive as slayer but i don't stick to the chromatics as much.i feel like the more aggresive the better but it has to mean something it can't just be mindless bursts of speed.the point is i have tried em all as far as pickups are concerned and the type of metal you play is going to determine the best pickup choice for you.for what i play emg's are the best(81 at bridge)but for ratt or crue a duncan jb or screamin demon is pretty cool.if you don't want to go active a dimebucker is the most aggresive and articulate passiv pickup going.just make sure your bridge pickup is high enough output for the metal you play and the others can provide the versatility your looking for.

Hey, thanks for the reply's.. this place is great I'm learning so much. I mostly play 80's style metal but I also like the new neo-classical stuff. Plus I want to use the guitar to play clean so I am just looking for a very versatile pickup combination. Having a H-S-H style guitar will give me I wide range of options if I use the right pups.

check out a dimebucker.i can't say enough good things about it for metal and believe it or not the clean tone is crystal clear,which is tough to find in a high output humbucker.if you do decide to go active though keep in mind that emg makes a single coil neck pickup which actually is the same size as a humbucker.check out emg's website.great stuff and the pickups aren't any more expensive than a high end passive.

Well, as you can see by my dive flag Wes.. diver stands for scuba diver. Although I love Vivian Cambell on the Holy Diver album. Yes, I think that pickup will be too hot. So far I've decided on the Breed at the neck like the Dimarzio tech recommended but still don't know about the middle and bridge pups. Probably a virtual vintage or HS3 in the middle and maybe a breed in the neck too. Brian's got the best deals around on the Breeds except it stinks that I've got to pay sales tax because I live in Florida :D

I'm still thinking on it. B)

have you considered a duncan jb?great pickup for that rich full sound.does dimarzio still make the tone zone?also a great pickup

Funny you should say that... I was thinking about getting the Tone Zone for my Charvel Model 2 but then got the 470 and decided to focus on it. Also, Queensryche is my favorite band and I know Michael Wilton uses the JB on his custom ESPs. I love his tone... dang, this is a hard decision :D

not as hard as you might think.all of these pickups(tone zone,jb,etc.)have very similar sounds.just remember,basswood has a very scooped sound naturally so you need a pickup with alot of mids(tone zone,jb)to balance it out.(for that queensryche sound.)if you were going for the slayer sound i would suggest 81's for the attack and to keep the scooped sound.body wood and style of music dictates alot.i just had a great suggestion for the neck.duncan blackbacks.very versatile.

:D

Hey what's up... nice forum.

as far as pick-ups I recommend Dimarzio's. I love the Steve's special(which is named after Steve Blucher who designed the pick-up etc..) in the bridge and in the neck the air norton. I have it in my main guitar and I am getting a new Ibanez made and it will have these pick-ups in it as well.

The Steve special has amazing tone and high enough output but it still lets you hear the sound and tone of the guitar.

If you check out my website you can hear recordings done with these pick-ups..... www.robbalducci.com

all the best

Rob