putting a WH-1 circuit board in a guitar???

guitarkidd

Alright here's the deal...i rescently bought a digitech WH-1 original whammy pedal circuit board on ebay for 50 bucks. I got it and it powers up and is kool, and i thought it would be awsome to make a guitar and put the circuit board inside the guitar, so far i have run into a few problems, but the one major problam that i have is getting power to it. It runs on AC current, and im pretty sure 9 volt battery's are DC. Anybody know how i can convert the power to DC in a small space or any Batterys that might work. (any ideas about the whole thing would be good). I also heard that Tom Morello put the WH-1 circuit board in one of his guitars (thats where i got the idea), is that true that he did that? Thanks

The circuit runs on DC - all you have to do is examine the power supply, find out what it puts out in terms of voltage and current, and design a battery power supply that's small enough to fit in a guitar. B) It sounds like a downright Herculean task to me - I wouldn't even attempt it without a lot of upfront money and no guarantee of success required. :D

Keep in mind that Navarro can afford to have Space Shuttle retro-rockets installed in his axe if he wants 'em. Check the thread on building in a ZVex Fuzz Factory from about a week ago for more info on the mechanical problems.

As for the power supply, it's probably digital levels, so a laptop computer setup might work. Your first order of business would be to get an accurate schematic, so you know what you're dealing with.

Check this thread for more on the Whammy and controllers. And while I'm not trying to be a jerk, I would suggest that if you're only "...pretty sure 9 volt battery's are DC...", this project is way beyond your capabilities unless you've got some serious backup. It's a really nice effect ( and worth some cash, as I remember), and it would be a shame to ruin it in an ill-advised project that you probably can't pull off. Maybe Ansil can offer some more insight into the process. I'd sell it to a collector and use the money to make another amplifier. :D

of course you could just leave it on th efloor and ahve a controller that is in the guitar and runit parrallel with the guitar signal an control the pot on your guitar. it could be done the last whammy i looked at was similar in function to the morley wahs where theyhave tow leds and ldr's and they use a little piece of tin in between there to block out or let in the light at precise moments. you could just fabricate something like that or put a simple voltage controller on your guitar to vary the voltage betwen the two leds.

Does this have anythigh to do with the effects loop jack which I asked about in the alembic thread?

not that i can see but i could look at that and check it out for you..

Matthew Bellamy of Muse has a Whammy Pedal built into one of his guitars, custom made by a luthier whose first name escapes me, but whose last name is Manson. They did it with MIDI strip thing like those found on keyboards.

http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/

Click on "Artists", then on "Matt Bellamy", and then you shall be able to see his guitars. The black one has the whammy pedal in it.

No, it's Hugh Manson, Ron Joyce is a friend og Hugh's who does his wacky electronics, I know this because im obsessed with Matt Bellamy, Muse, and his guitars. It's not a whammy pedal he has built in there, its a MIDI strip controller which controls the whammy pedal (because the whammy that Matt uses is a WH-4 with MIDI input). That picture with the electronics only looks daunting because there are about 7 other effects built in there, so its not all the whammy stuff.

The MIDI strip is a linear pot which acts as a MIDI controller pad, it goes into a microprocessor and this controls the whammy.

I have no idea what the program the wrote for the microprocessor would be. I've not done anything like that before so have no idea. I wanted to do this at one point but when I found out just how complicated it is, I decided to leave it until I felt I was capable to come back and give it a good go. Oh and Manson's charge something in the region of £500-£600 for this, i think.

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/circuits.html

scroll down near the bottom for his diy midi stuff maybe that would help someone.. i dont' do much midi work anymore..