Black Limba Guitar

OK, this is it for a while - sorry to dump two guitars in here in a row.

This is my sweet baby:

• Body and Neck : Black Limba
  • Fretboard: Ebony 12" radius
  • Inlay: sterling silver dots/bar and sterling silver side dots
  • Heel : Brass inserts with my RG/JEM hybrid heel type
  • Bridge: Schaller Floyd with R4 nut
  • Electronics: 1 Vol, 1 Tone, Onboard Seymour Duncan Booster (switch and Gain)
  • Pickups: Lil Screamon Demon (neck), Lil 50 (mid), Screamon Demon (bridge)

I used CA Glue (thanks for the suggestion Drak) for a filler and Nitro for the clear. I'm still learning with the finishing business but I'm starting to get better.

This guitar sounds beatiful - better than any other guitar I have owned/played. I think it may be the wood (a lot of people claim it to be a great tone wood - probably not quite as good as Ed Roman claims though :D ). The pickups are probably the other part of that equation. The total cost for the pickups on this was higher than I like to think about but worth it. The booster/medium output pickup combo makes this thing extremely versatile - I can get a nice bluesy sound on up to full-on metal! :D I might change the switch out so I can get more combinations - it currently is only capable of splitting the bridge and neck pickups (the middle is full HB when selected).

I highly recommend this combination if anyone is looking for a tone wood/pickup pairing. I would also recommend that you use a booster of some sort if you want to get a real nice distortion/lead sound. I like the Seymour Duncan booster circuit a lot.

Thanks again to the incredible help I've recieved from the people here at ProjectGuitar ! B)

LimbaFinal002sml.jpg

LimbaFinal005sml.jpg

LimbaFinal003sml.jpg

LimbaFinal004sml.jpg

Fabulous axe.

The only thing I didn't like was the 'round bit' one the headstock seems a bit oversized. Of course, that's just my personal aesthetics.

How about a shot of the neck joint/heel?

:D

Greg

Thanks again - I'll get a pic of that heel for you soon. The headstock is one of those things I keep playing with. I was originally going to do a copy of the San Dimas headstock, then I wanted to make the curves more gradual,... and it ended up as is. My Tiger guitar will have a similar shape.

I'm gonna spend the night setting it up and gett'n on it!! :D

Dave,

excellent work! you should be proud.

By chance, do you happen to have a pic of the rear end of the guitar.

(not the back, but the lower side). I ask because in looking at the picture, the wood doesnt seem to have discernable end grain. The wood in the horns looks like face grain as does the top.

-Wayne