Hand Planes

Curtis P

I was thinkin I might buy a hand plane, a really good one costs 50 bucks at Canadian Tire and its got a 3 year gaurentee on the entire unit

its a bigger one too, not a palm one or spoke shave (another wanted item, lol)

are they any good? i just want it to use on the sides (for lamintaing, it works for pine well, tried it today in wood)

my real question is how good are they for hardwood? my school has limited supply of hardwood and he couldnt give me a big enough scrap to try it on :D

Curtis

this one is a Mastercraft and 3 years for everything, figure it was damn good investment, but since i didnt know how they would work on hardwood i didnt get it, but if its ay good for hardwood i am goin back to canadian tire to pick up some truck parts and will kinda "toss" it in too

Curtis

westhemann....Finally someone who appreciates fine tools....I have about 10 Lie-Nielsen planes and spokeshaves.......I also have a couple Record block planes and jointer planes....Believe me, the difference in quality is amazing! The Lie-Nielsen has so much more mass allowing the plane to easily glide through most anytough grain and the hardest of hardwoods......The Lie-Nielsens are also truly beautiful tools. They are expensive, but I believe that you get what you pay for.

BTW.....I have the Chisel Planes and they are terrific for cleaning out glue lines on the insides of drawers and cabinet carcasses.

4b.jpg

975.jpg

boggs_hick.jpg

I purchased a set of these planes and have found them to be a good value. they are now where as good as Lie-Neilsen planes, but for the difference in cash the Anant planes win hands down in my book. I use 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper on a piece of glass to sharpen and the cut pretty good when properly set up.

They are compareable to Stanley/Record planes at a lower cost.

Anant planes