pine as guitarbody material??

I think the wood selection is highly overrated. I heard it said some where and I really agree with it. They said that no matter which woods you select the electronics provide the majority of the sound. I have a LP goth (mahogany/alder) and a squier strat (agathis) and if I posted sound clips, the only difference you could tell between them is the pickups. I choose to work with maple becasue it's easy to work with, a hard wood, and can be used for bodies, necks, and fingerboards, and is also pretty cheap.

that's my .02

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a link for the pallet guitar (or one of them). This is a flat top from Taylor.

pallet.jpg

I stumbled across this link for a formica bodied guitar.

formicaster.jpg

This isn't just a formica surfaced guitar. The formica is structural and it's built like an acoustic with heat bent sides and kerfing to glue the sides to the top.

bendinghpl.jpgbentsides.jpg

gluekerf.jpg

I'd think something like this would be fragile, but, the builder (Bill Machrone from PC Magazine) says it was built to take a lot of abuse and wipes clean with a damp cloth. He thinks it has better sustain than most Strats.