i have almost got it

Curtis P

http://www.fullservesite.com/curtis/Music/...o%20-%20ear.mp3

thats the solo, it cuts off a bit

heres something i made up off top of my head, the silent part in it where you hear some clicking is when i was changing from bridge to neck and middle pickup and it didnt go

http://www.fullservesite.com/curtis/Music/...20something.mp3

that one cuts out too

Tell me what you think

Curtis

i havent heard the song, but the solo by ear seems kinda choppy, unless its supposed to be that way :D

the second one sounds good at thats what counts, maybe youve got an intro for a new song or whatever

BTW for your songs are you actually thinking what scale you are in and w/e and working scientifically or just stringing together things you know sound good?

I'm a little puzzled. :D

Are you listening to the same version of "Like a Stone" that i am?

Aside from that, you really need to work on your timing. Learn to stomp your foot in time to the piece of music you're learning. Do this over and over without even playing your guitar. You need to let your foot become a metronome, so you don't even have to consciously think about the time it's keeping. Once you're able to keep constant time without thinking about it, you'll have a much better sense of rhythm overall.

Even without the whammy action happening, the solo has a very distinctive melody, which you're not quite hitting yet. The last few notes are close, but the timing and delivery are off.

Try listening along to it and counting out the beats as Tom plays. "1-2-3-4... 1-2 3-4" Just listen to it while counting out loud and tapping those beats. Then pay attention to where his notes fall in relation to the four-beat counts, and try to understand the "feel" he gets by playing around the beats, and not just right on them.

ok, i just downloaded it

i really can't see any similarities, i think that you need to concentrate on the timing alot, plus try comparing what you've worked out with the tab, i think that you are on the upper strings when in reality its octaves played on A and G :D

Work on it in tiny chunks, a couple of bars at at time. Play along, analzye it, learn it by ear, then compare what you're playing to the recording. Once you've mastered a bar or two, move on to the next bar or two.

Breezing through it and trying to learn the whole thing "close enough" (or in some cases, nowhere close) isn't the right approach if you're serious about wanting to train your ear. You have to take it slow until you start getting better at recognizing notes 'on the fly'. Walk before you run, etc.

I agree that it can be done without the whammy, and it's a great project for you to undertake as you're learning.

However, when used the way he's used it, the Whammy really becomes the instrument moreso than the guitar, so it'll be tough to do it convincingly without.

I'd love to have a whammy. :D Bugger it for the expensive piece of gear that it is.

Keep it up, though! You'll learn SO much by using your ears to transcribe stuff.