30 fret guitar?

has anybody ever seen or built a 30 fret guitar? i think it would be really cool because u would have 3 octaves. you could play a scale in E on the open E, a scale in E at the 12th and a scale in E at the 24th, i think u get what i mean. has this been done befour. i think i might have seen one imm not sure. imm thinking of maybe doing this for my next project.

matt

I actually own a 36 fret guitar, called a WAshburn EC-36, It was one of only two commercially succesful 36 fretters in history. They were made for two years in the 80's along with the 29 fret version, 200 36 fretters were made, in japan. The quality is amazingand the thru neck is just divine.

washwhiteall1.jpg

i have one in a red and black crackle finish which was the most produced one.

If you need anymore information just say B) i'd like to consider myself an expert :D

The third octave would have some tight fret spacing. That would take some getting used to.

Consider the number of frets over the body, the bridge will move towards the upper bout as you change which fret is at the body joint. I guess you could just do a super cutaway.

Dan electro made a 32 fret guitar caled the 'guitaralin' and it was nicknamed the longhorn.

Its imposible to play on such small frets tho, it wouldnt even make a real difference. Also the neck wouldnt be quite as stable if it is so long.

they adress the issue in melvyn hiscock's book

ya i know u would need 36 frets to have 3 full octaves but if you had 30 you could have 3 octaves of E to work with. for example if you were soloing in E you could use a scale starting at the 24th fret. any more that 30 frets, the frets would be to close together unles you used a longer scale length.

at 31st fret on my guitar its tight!!! up to 29 is not too bad, but then its real small!!! im considering doing tjhe whole 36 or 37... :D J/K

if you want my link to my guitar just say and ill hoke it out, sould turn up in a search tho!

He could do a neck thru body design with the top horn being attached to the neck and going up to the 12th freat about, that would provide enough support, but it would look like ****

yes like one of those harp guitars, they scare me :D

also if you dont make it a bass sized body i think it would look unbalance with this overly large fretboard/neck, and a guitar sized body

Funny, I have at least 4 octaves on my 21 fretters.

Low E on the open 6th string

E on the 4th string 2nd fret

high E on the open 1 st string

higher E on the 1st string 12th fret

highest E 1st string 21st fret bent 2" off the edge of the body :D

I saw a guitar recently with a pickup behind the tune-o-matic. Now that's a high note.

yah you have 4 octaves , but you don't have even 2 full octaves on each string. those 36 fret guitars actually have 5 full octaves without bending.

Sorry, man. I just was making a (stupid) joke. I am fusion guy and play more laterally than linearly. And I hardly ever get past the 17th fret even on my 24 fret electric.