UK lacquer supplier

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a good stockist of satin finish lacquer, in an aerosol, to finish my maple neck with. Is it the kind of thing I can find at a hardware store, or are there any online UK retailers that sell "instrument quality" lacquer?

I tried reranch.com but obviously they won't ship aerosol cans overseas :D.

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a good stockist of satin finish lacquer, in an aerosol, to finish my maple neck with. Is it the kind of thing I can find at a hardware store, or are there any online UK retailers that sell "instrument quality" lacquer?

I tried reranch.com but obviously they won't ship aerosol cans overseas :D.

stewmac has nitro...

Indeed, but they can't ship outside of the USA either :D

hmm...i thought they did...do a google search on deft laquer...i think they supply to the uk....that is also nitro

keep in mind all this aeresol nitro needs to cure on the neck for at least a month before use

I don't think ANY company is allowed to ship flammable materials outside of its borders by air or by sea. You can try looking in autobody supply stores, doesn't hurt to ask around. I found that a lot of my local autobody suppliers are not stocking aerosol laquer anymore because there just isn't as much demand. Everyone wants enamel these days because you need three times the amount of laquer to attain the same thickness in enamel. Stewmac does sell waterbase clear laquer but not in aerosol form.

Thanks guys. Hmmmm I'm oiling my body (my guitar body, you dirty minded freaks) but Warmoth advised me to lacquer the neck due to the higher humidity in the UK. I understand they say 1 in 10 oiled necks ends up warping as opposed to 1 in 200 lacquered necks?

Are there any other options?

A couple or three options for :D :

1) Acrylic laquer in a can from halfords, not sure how it'll like the oil but you can check that. I've gotta wait another week to buff it out of my guitar but it looks ok at the minute.

1a) there is a plasti-cote spray in homebase/b&q which may work too!?!?

2) Rustin's Plastic Coating is brushable and available from Craft Supplies or Axminster power tools and if it's good enough for bryan mays red special, it's probably good enough for ours!

3) get some spray equipment and buy nitro laquer and thinner from craft supplies.

You may need craft supplies guitar wood and stuff catalog as it's much better than the website, call them, they're also better on the phone than on email!

Good luck

Denny

I wouldn't have thought all the tru-oiled gunstocks warp a great deal?

Hey alex,

For the spray cans, the 300ml cans are on 3 for 2 at halfords so you may get a better deal there. i guess it's a case of how much you need!!?! for a neck, i guess a couple of cans will be oceans?!?

I tried the cans for a mettalic respray for a body and they seem fine.

I'm gonna dye and rustins the neck to see what happens, mainly because thats what melvin hiscock did in his book and it seems faily easy.

But, paul has a good point, maybe it's worth trying au-natural (the neck -not you)...

Let us know whatever you try, i'm keen to know how the cans work on the neck for my "proper guitar from scratch project" which'll have a wenge neck.

Denny

Thanks again Denny, I will check out halfords this weekend.

I would ideally just like to oil the neck, because I don't like glossy necks anyway, but as it's a Warmoth neck and hence was pretty pricey I don't really want to risk it going all banana shaped.

I'll keep you posted as to what I end up doing anyway.

Thanks again Denny, I will check out halfords this weekend.

I would ideally just like to oil the neck, because I don't like glossy necks anyway, but as it's a Warmoth neck and hence was pretty pricey I don't really want to risk it going all banana shaped.

I'll keep you posted as to what I end up doing anyway.

Hey, did you get the body and neck from warmoth shipped to the uk? what was the delivery and custom charge and tax come to?

Yeah I got them shipped over from the US. I've not received the neck yet, but the body had a customs charge of about £37 quid on it, including the brokerage charge they say you shouldn't have to pay. I was going to crib about it until I opened the box, and it was such a beautiful bit of wood I couldn't really complain!