totally new to this...

...what's a guitar? B)

no no not that new.

but i just recently got interested in building my own guitar and i have no idea where to start. its going to be a telecaster body...the neck im buying because it is too hard to make.

ok so some of these questions will sound stupid but i'll give it a go anyways:

1) in most of tutorials that ive seen, 2 pieces of wood are shown, and they are glued together to form the body...i dont understand that...explain why glue 2 pieces...i thought its supposed to be SOLID.

2) choosing wood...let's say i choose maple...can i get a piece from a hardware store? or is this wood supposed to be purchased from special dealers. so what im wondering about is if the wood somehow special, or has been specially treated in order to be suitable for guitar making.

3) how do i make the body the same size as the telecaster? i dont think you eyeball it right.? do you trace? are there specific measurements online? how does this work? also a question that probably fits here as well is all the measurements such as bridge positioning and the cuts for the pickups, etc etc.

ok so after making a complete fool out of myself i shall wait for answers.........or comments like "****ng NOOB, like OMG, LOLOLOLOL"

either way :D:D

ok so after making a complete fool out of myself i shall wait for answers.........or comments like "****ng NOOB, like OMG, LOLOLOLOL"

either way  B)  B)

F*ck*ng Noob!!! (oh wait, that's me!!!!!!)

Dude, check out the tutorial, and make good use of the search. There are a million great builders here (MUCH better than me) who will be happy to answer specific questions. Good luck and happy building.

WARNING!!!! If you start building your own guitars, project guitars will nr be held liable for any bankruptcies or divorces that may result from said building!!!

:DB):D:D:D

i just dont see how 2 pieces of wood can be GLUED to each other and the tension of the strings is not breaking apart the guitar

From what

I understand from these guys is that a glued joint is stornger than then the wood that makes the joint. If you stress the glue joint to the point of failure, it will break in thne wood, rather than along the actual joint itself>

Je ne sait pas? But it's true.

the search feature is a little tricky...once you figure it out though it is cool

he really is a great guy...

i just dont see how 2 pieces of wood can be GLUED to each other and the tension of the strings is not breaking apart the guitar

well your better off, most people i talked to wouldnt even bleive that an electric guitar is made of wood :D

and as he said, a proper glue joint is stronger then the wood itself, also 2 and 3 piece necks are stronger, since when its a one piece neck, there is nothing stopping it from warping, but in a 2 or 3 piece neck, if one piece wants to warp, the others dont let it

ok what the hell is CAD...

how do i obtain a program that opens those files basically

There are free dwg viewers on download.com that can let you view CAD diagrams. If you want to edit.... you will need CAd software itself. If you have an older version of windows, you can use MS paint to draw your own diagrams.