neck-thru V -- rough cut wings _before_ gluing?

i'm building a neck-thru V -- carvin neck, maple wings. if it was a strat shape or anything else on a neck-thru neck, of course i'd glue the square wings onto the neck extention first and then route the body shape.

but since it's a V, i'm thinking about rough cutting the wings before i glue them onto the neck. it would be easy to rough cut them first, since it's just a few straight cuts with a power saw to rough the V shape. i could use the angled scrap from those cuts as cauls to clamp the wings when i glue them.

also, if i rough cut first, i could get the grain on the wings going this way //// on the upper wing and \\\\ on the lower, like Jehle's V body in this thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=8782&hl=

[nice work, btw!] on mine, i'd have the neck extension in the middle with the grain going ||||, but i still think the //// |||| \\\\ would look cool [and be stronger on the wings]. i would have to rough cut the wings before gluing to get that grain pattern.

anybody got any opinions one way or the other? or no opinion at all? :D thanks in advance.

don't just rough cut it...sand it down to 220 as well

and even if it was a strat i would say the same thing....why?because the neck is finished,and anything you do around it is going to be alot tougher after glue up without changing the shape of the neck in some way(even if minutely)

don't just rough cut it...sand it down to 220 as well

thanks, that's a great idea. i'll sand the top and bottom faces to 220, but the sides i'll leave alone until the wings are glued and the final body profile is routed [that's not close to the neck extention anyway].

i was actually talking about the outline of the guitar as well...

on my v i found it quite difficult to sand next to the neck

gotm%202_0001.jpg

flying%20v_0042.jpg

i was actually talking about the outline of the guitar as well...

on my v i found it quite difficult to sand next to the neck

interesting, thanks for the tip. my V shape will have a second steeper angle as it dives down toward the neck, kind of like Gibson V's, unlike the long dart continuous slope yours has. i could certainly smooth that short steeper angled face on each wing and leave the long sides of the V wings for after gluing.

i'll have to leave at least some of the long V faces for after, since i'll have to cut the 'crotch' of the V into the neck extention. i don't want to do that before gluing, there's too much chance it wouldn't line up exactly right.

my V shape will have a second steeper angle as it dives down toward the neck, kind of like Gibson V's, unlike the long dart continuous slope yours has. i could certainly smooth that short steeper angled face on each wing and leave the long sides of the V wings for after gluing.

look closely at mine...yes that part you definately should finish sand.

i'll have to leave at least some of the long V faces for after, since i'll have to cut the 'crotch' of the V into the neck extention. i don't want to do that before gluing, there's too much chance it wouldn't line up exactly right.

that is exactly what i did on mine as well...but after glue up i was wishing that i had done as much as possible before

it is harder to do ANYTHING to the body after glue up...you can never seem to hold it comfortably to work on it and the neck tends to swing around and bang into stuff