Hey guys, let's focus on the maple and not the ladies. :D

Seriously, when I glued the maple top to my mahogany base, I managed to develop a crack in the back of the mahogany base - a very narrow crack that follows the glue line about 2/3 the way up the back. Any thoughts to repair that before proceeding? I'd just try to fill it before finishing, but I'm a little worried about structural soundness.

I'll get a pic of the crack and post it when I get home. The back is two pieces of 1 1/4" thick mahogany (approx 8" wide each) that were jointed and edge glued together. The joint looked perfect - almost couldn't see it with the grain of the wood. When I glued the top to the mahogany, the crack developed under the clamping pressure, right along the glue line.

thats odd. Was the glue fully cured? This sounds a lot like something that just shouldn't happen.

If the 'crack' is actually a separation of the two jointed halves, my BEST guess would be a problem with the glue & or clamping method. Titebond generally creates a bond that is stronger than the wood itself (exceptions might be some of the heavy tone woods wenge, purpleheart, bubinga...etc), in which case the wood would crack before the joint where the glue was would. (Sounds ridiculous, but i've experienced that one first hand).

If it is in fact the wood that is cracked, maybe you should check your supplier? Was the wood in good condition? Had it ever had any water damage? Was it fully dry? Not sure on the possibilities I'm just throwing up ideas.

In any case, I'm hoping theres at least a member or two on the forum here who's actually experienced what your having and knows a good way to remedy the problem.

If all of the above seemingly check out, and you're gonna do a painted finish at least on the back, I would suggest just filling it up and keep going. However, given this situation I might be a little wary of how well that mahogany is going to hold up over time.

Here is a pic of the mahogany back. I hope it came through - I haven't posted a pic before.

The crack developed on the back at the glue line when I glued the maple top to the back - guess they weren't as flat as I thought. The mahogany back was previously glued together using Titebond, was clamped for 24 hours, and had been glued up for several weeks before I attempted to glue the top on. I used the same bottle of Titebond to glue up two other backs and all is well. The mahogany came from a batch I purchased for all 3 guitars I am working on, and again, so far so good with the other two.

I am thinking my glue job on this back was faulty - perhaps I applied too much clamping pressure on this half of the back and squeezed out too much glue. The top half of the back isn't cracked. I agree with you that if properly glued, the wood would be more likely to split than the glue to give way.

Given that, I am desperate for solutions. The guitar is for my son, and he doesn't want an opaque finish on the back - more a dark stain with either clear finish or a translucent cherry. The quilted maple top will be dyed black, sanded back and then dyed cherry with a clear nitro finish.

The only options I can think of are to use a syringe with CA glue or epoxy to fill the crack and hopefully add structural strength. The crack is a MAXIMUM 1/32" of an inch at the widest and narrows as it goes up. Since the filled gap would be visible, I could route a channel and inlay a decorative back strip of some sort, then finish the way he wants.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Thank man.  That's the pic.    :D

Not sure how you did that though........... :D

I'm a Warlock casting Necromatic Spellcraft all over the place. B)

Actually, it was a bit of a typographical error.

You just had two too many backslashes in the URL for the image.

You almost had it.

With an id like MegaData, I was more in the on-line Warlock camp for a while, but then I also found the extra set of backslashes. :D

In any case, I used some gap filling CA on the crack in the back and applied some slight clamping pressure. It came out good. I cut out the body shape and overall the back appears structurally very sound with a slight cosmetic blemish in the raw. I'll try to handle that in my finish - yet to be fully decided.

Here are pics of the repaired crack and the body cut out - front view. I believe the pics will be too large - will try to do better next time.

crackrepair.jpg

quilttop.jpg

I ordered the quilt from Luthiers Mercantile Intl. It was 15/16" thick in two pieces when it arrived, but one board had a persistent twist (like some people I know :D ) so I took it to my local hardware supplier and they milled it flat down to 13/16". I plan to carve it similar to a LP. My son has requested a finish something like this test piece.

testfinish.jpg

lovely maple!!!