Guitar of the Month for August

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that currently sell their creations either at home or on the web and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till midnight EST the 23rd of July then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

In the event of more then 10 entries the voting will be split and a second vote will determine the winner between the top two winners of the other polls

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought id add my guitar even though i wasnt gonna just cuz no one else has yet

Specs

~Strat/RG/PRS body whatever you wanna call it I didnt have a real strat template so i made it up

~Mahogany back w/ flamed maple top

~Maple neck w/rosewood board

~25 1/2 scale 22 frets bolt on

~tom w/strings thru

~ sd pups

~ 1 vol 1 tone 3 way toggle

its not the prettiest lookin body shape wise but it plays damn good

MzI

Body Alone <--- that to show the figure of the maple

Full guitar

Please meet 'Bones' :D

Specs:

3/16" Booked Mahogony backplates

3/16" Booked Crotch Walnut frontplates

Centerstrip core Mahogony

Sides Poplar

2 large chambers either side, ala 335 kinda

Joe Barden Duo-Tone tapped HB's (see the mini switch?)

Pots: 1) Volume 2) EMG SPC control 3) EMG Afterburner preamp

Neck: Warmoth standard contour 25 1/2" scale

Tuners: Grover Imperials

Finish: Crotch Walnut was bleached first, then re-dyed reddish-brown

Standard lacquer finish w/ black edge 'burst

Thickness: 2"

The only thing I'll add is that the Walnut was sooo dark originally, it was almost BLACK when wetted. It took me 3 shots of bleaching then re-dying to get the shade I wanted on it. It has a very 3-D appearance in person.

Named Bones because the crotch walnut kinda looks like Nigel Tufnel's ribcage t-shirt in Spinal Tap, hehehe. B)

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Well OK, I know that Drak is going to blow this one out of the water, or maybe everybody else that might add a guitar till the end of the month, but this is the first guitar that I fully customize (other than adding a pickup). and it's the guitar that almost everybody hates here... A PLYWOOD SQUIER. I think almost everybody here hates it, but I like this one, I only wish the body were a solidwood instead of plywood.

The lowdown

BODY: Yeap, you guess it Plywood.

NECK: Maple one pieace fully scallop, finished on semi gloss urethane

HARDWARE: Squier!

ELECTRONICS: YES... EMG's Pro Series KH-21 with 2 81's.

Believe it or not this guitar sound awsome, from blues type (no my fav) to heavy Metallica, Pre Load time... Testament and the alikes...

It begin l;ife as a boring vintage white strat and now is painted in Duplicolor's Bahama Blue Mcc, with loads of acrylic clear and a tribal tape stripe Ala EVH. I added a second string retainer tree for looks and to try and keep more pressure on the 3&4 strings.

here the Pics. (If I get a good day tomorrow I will take better pics outside! :D .

DSC00849.jpg

The whole guitar

DSC00858.jpg

The pickguard and front of guitar

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

The new contour of the body a deeper body contour and arm rest and a contoured neck pocket Ala Ibanez meet new Fender.

Hope that aleast somebody enjoy this as much as I did redoing it...

Boggs here... First, some features.

Chambered body.

Offset waistline positions the guitar perfectly and comfortably whether sitting or standing. Balance is perfect (quite unusual for a chambered body guitar).

Intuitive selectivity of any combination of single coils or humbuckers or both in unique switching system. Tremendous tone variety with this system!

Volume control out of the way of playing aggressively, but easy to locate for volume swells in lower position. Reach to bottom corner, lift hand, and it falls right in place.

Guitar can be leaned against a wall and remain stable by resting on end where straplock pins protect it. Shape allows 2 stable rest points but still seats very well in any stand.

Location of output jack works best with right angle chord. Protects it from the dreaded cable dance and is easy to find on a darkened stage.

Internal conduit system makes threading pickup wires a breeze.

Additional chamber for 3rd pickup incorporated under padauk between neck and bridge with conduit already in place if 3rd pickup were ever to be added.

Body is Cuban mahogany with bookmatched African padauk top and back with binding layer of maple veneer between padauk and mahogany for contrast. 7 pieces of wood make up the body (8 if you include the hand cut access panel in the back).

22-fret neck is Honduran mahogany with Holdsworth style headstock and locking Sperzel tuners with stainless steel frets and offset dots. Headstock overlays are padauk on maple on the mahogany. Padauk provided to Carvin was hand sawn and planed and provided to Carvin who made the neck to my specs.

Finish is French polish on the body (3 layers of grain filler for this open-grained wood) and nitrocellulose lacquer with a single coat of tung oil on the neck for feel.

Pictures start with the chambered mahogany body blank followed by the back of the guitar body followed by the guitar itself in the case and finally in my friend's hands. He built a guitar from the padauk as well.

mahoganybody6.jpg

061904_05.JPG

Boggs_Done_03.JPG

Boggs_Done_01.JPG

Boggs here again... My friend and assistant in building my guitar also built his guitar using what was left of my padauk and some mahogany and maple he had lying around (must be nice!). He did it based upon the design of his Kubicki Factor basses combining that basic layout with some design features I incorporated into mine. Since we helped each other with these projects, I am therefore entering his guitar in the GOTM contest as well. I hope that is alright...

He went with the same electrical layout as mine shown above.

He designed his own headstock and his neck (also made by Carvin) has standard medium jumbo frets, the padauk headstock overlay from the same billet as mine, standard Carvin tuning machines, same pickups.

His body is chambered differently to allow the relief in the body work which he cut in by hand using a drawblade and spokeshave. Very nifty hand work there in contouring that body which is also French polished. His neck was finished with Murdoch's hard oil. His braces on the top are floating in that they are not connected to both the top and back as mine are and it allows the top to vibrate more freely. It projects acoustically so well that I am convinced that if he put "F-Holes" in it, it could be played acoustically! Visually, she is certainly a stunner and goes very well with his basses. Here is Tim Fuss's guitar... The last one is of me playing it without a strap.

Fuss_Done_02.JPG

Fuss_Done_03.JPG

Fuss_Done_04.JPG

Fuss_Done_01.JPG

Boggs

My final entry is the prototype that started all of the padauk guitars. The coolest thing about this guitar is that it is made out of the cheapest woods I could find... $10 worth of pine slab and European Hardwood plywood TOTAL in this body! The neck is a basic Carvin hard rock maple neck I got on EBAY, and the pickups and controls are the same Carvin H22N in the neck and C22B in the bridge but I went with gold hardware for the contrast (rustic look in the body and bling in the controls) and for a bit of a chuckle! The body is about 1/2 inch thinner overall, but construction is the same and I learned from making that guitar how to make the padauk one with confidence. This is my first born in every sense.

I know the look is untraditional, but everyone who has played this thing has had the same descriptor for it... It has a real charm! The body is VERY light and it is universally the most comfortable guitar anyone who plays it says they played. That is how I knew the asymmetrical waistline was the way to go. Tone is remarkably resonant unplugged... A lot like Tim Fuss' floating top padauk guitar. It has a remarkably warm tone plugged in... more jazzbox-like but will get grungy and even carry surf-tones remarkably well! Very versatile axe which weighs nothing! Nice to have as a spare, for sure. Same features as Boggs' padauk guitar as this was the one that determined how I was to build the padauk model and what gave me the styling cues I liked and needed tweaking. Finish is nitrocellulose on the body after staining the pine and plywood with a rosewood stain and removing some in an antiquing kind of way. The neck is finished with Murdoch's hard oil except for the headstock which is actually 2 colors of tinted lacquer spray to make it look like a headstock overlay. This guitar has a real special place in my heart! The second picture is my friend Tim playing it... Boggs

Boggs_DCP_2457.jpg

Boggs_Done_04.JPG

Boggs_Done_05.JPG

Specs

-Walnut body wings

-Neck-thru Walnut/maple/walnut neck with 13* scarf joint

-Pau Ferro fretboard

-34" scale

-Walnut nut

-Bartolini Music man pickup

-Homebrew active EQ - volume, tone, coil split

-Custom Shop Parts tuners and bridge

-Dunlop Straploks

Based off the bass guitar plans ordered from MIMF.

This was my first bass, from which many more will come hopefully. I started this bass in February and finally finished in June(unless you have a heated workshop, do NOT start a guitar in the winter :D ). The walnut that I used for the body and neck I was lucky enough to get for free. After building this bass I am quite pleased with the way the walnut machines.

The body was finished with Tru-oil. The feel of Tru-oil is just amazing and might very well become my finish of choice seeing as how I don't have the equipment for finishing with nitro.

bass2.jpg

bass9.jpg

bass10.jpg

bass8.jpg