Tele templates

I'm housebound for a few days, so I can't get out to the music store, plus this would be easier than tracing. Does anybody know where I can find a tele CAD drawing? I've found the headstock, but no body. MIMF, guitarbuild, and the dl section here were all misses. I might just get a template from a guy off eBay anyway. He said he had a tele template for 15 + 2 shipping. Anubody know anything about member8887464's templates? I got tele fever this past weekend at a music festival. Didn't really like them before, but listening to them, who can say no to all that twang? :D

I think you'll find that the guitarbuild.com site does have a Tele CAD drawing. Being a cheapskate myself I have found a way to print out full size guitar plans at little cost... If you view a drawing in the Volo Viewer software (link also on same site), then use your own printer's settings to enlarge it the the right size, then print out over several sheets of A4. On my Epson, you can preview the print job before it gets to the printer and delete any blank pages, to save paper. The Tele drawing has ruler scale in inches drawn on it, and through trial and error I found that enlarging the original Tele plan by 366% gave the correct result. Note that this is on my printer, and each CAD drawing will also need a different enlargemnent.

Even the small gif files on the mimf.com site could be used in this way to get a full size plan printed out. These gifs are intended to give you a preview of the plans mimf sells, but they can be enlarged and used themselves. You will get a very pixelated low res enlargement, but they're good enough to get the overall shapes of guitars, e.g. a Strat.

Now all I'm looking for is a Les Paul plan......

All they sell is templates

.......and the ones I've purchased have been nearly unusable. His plexiglass P-Bass and J-bass templates aren't even close to actual dimensions....I don't know how good his plywood templates are. There is a fellow on ebay.....member name is ronkirn.....has some seemingly accurate Tele templates, but he is not offering any at this time.

Here are a couple pics of a Tele that I made from a set of ronkirn's templates.

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=2973

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=2958

In my lunch break I just went out and bought one of those cheap History of the Guitar type books. It's full of good quality photos of guitars, taken straight on, with no distortion of the guitar shape in the photo. One could use a digital camera or scanner to get the image onto a computer then print it out enlarged or use it to trace onto a CAD drawing. They wouldn't be absolutely perfect but they would be good enough to use as plans.

All they sell is templates

.......and the ones I've purchased have been nearly unusable. His plexiglass P-Bass and J-bass templates aren't even close to actual dimensions....I don't know how good his plywood templates are. There is a fellow on ebay.....member name is ronkirn.....has some seemingly accurate Tele templates, but he is not offering any at this time.

Here are a couple pics of a Tele that I made from a set of ronkirn's templates.

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=2973

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=2958

Those plexi templates were some of the first ones I offered. Since then, I have continued to improve the quality of my templates and are much better! :D

That's what I was thinking because every template I've bought from you has been dead on accurate, but all the ones I've gotten from you have been nice 1/4" plywood ones. I would highly recommend anyone whose looking to build a specific model check out his stuff. I'm still working on an original design that hopefully he can still cut out for me on his laser machine if the offer still stands that is.. lol

That's what I was thinking because every template I've bought from you has been dead on accurate, but all the ones I've gotten from you have been nice 1/4" plywood ones. I would highly recommend anyone whose looking to build a specific model check out his stuff. I'm still working on an original design that hopefully he can still cut out for me on his laser machine if the offer still stands that is.. lol

Of course the offer still stands!

Those plexi templates were some of the first ones I offered. Since then, I have continued to improve the quality of my templates and are much better!

Ronny.....

Does this mean that you would replace the older-not-up-to-snuff J-bass and P-bass plexi templates with the new and improved versions? The ones I got from you are pretty much unusable....and when I compared them to actual instuments, they were not even close!... Not to mention the uneven, erratic edges. I haven't even stripped the paper coating off of the J-bass set.

Here is a pic of a P-bass that I built off of Ron Kirn's templates.

http://groups.msn.com/GuitarGallery/shoebo...oto&PhotoID=112

BTW.....I used one of your templates to route the pickup cavity.......It was accurate and I liked the fact that there was a tight radius in the corners(@1/8in)......it makes for a very tidy look.....most other templates have a larger radius in the corners.....which leaves a very open, sloppy look when building an instrument without a pickguard. Also.....you might consider offering a heavier plexi on some sets.....1/8in can be very brittle when removing them. I use 3/8in plexi for any template that I make.

nice post Gorecki.. I once had a Les Paul Jr. CAD drawing printed at a blueprint place and it ended up not being to scale, so I have been leary since then to get more done. Maybe it was something that they messed up on in the printout stage, I'm not sure though. Might have been just that one drawing that was out of whack.