Looking for new guitar

Birthdays coming up, dads offering to buy a guitar. I would love a Gibson blueshawk. Buddy at school had one, ive played it a few times, and loved it. he hated it and sold it for a tele. im not gonna ask dad for an $800 guitar, but im thinking $4-500 would be agreeable. Anyone have any opinions on the Hamer Archtop? Or how about Hamer in general? Experience?

Thanks for any help.

Hamer makes great guitars in their USA custom shop, but at that price, it's almost definitely a mass-produced import model. Does anybody know about these?

I haven't seen one of these personally, so i can't comment, but if it's made in the same Korean factory that many low- to mid-range guitars are coming from, it's probably a pretty good guitar for the money.

If I were you, I would go to the guitar shop, and pick one up and REALLY examin it. Play it, look it over. whip out a magnafine glass if you need to.

Check to see if the body looks like it was laminated from like 6 different scrap peices (as was one of my friends ibanez basses)

all that kinnda stuff.

I bought my son a Les Paul double cutaway for his birthday (two weeks ago) for $600 from ebay. The Fender Pro Tone series is also a great (used guitar) value. They're Korean Squires that were made to Professional standards, and only produced for a few years. you can pick them up for a song ($200-$400) and they're GREAT. Extremely well made, choice woods, great pickups.

The Fender Highway 1 series retails for about $600 as does the Gibson Faded series. I bought an Epiphone Dot (es-335 copy) for $335 just before Christmas, and it was a great guitar too! (Sold it to help pay for the Les Paul.) the only problem with the Epiphones is the resale value.

By the way, the new Lite Ash Telecasters are fantastic! I found one (new) for $485.

There are lots of great guitars in your price range! Have fun!

(BTW, there are two Blueshawks on ebay now. I'm looking for one myself. They'll probagbly go for about $500. . .)