Painting Plastic

This isn't really about guitars (but it could be, pickups, pickguards and the like).

My wife and I have a friend who, when spending the night at someone else's home seems to *always* find a way to fall down and hit her head. This lead to a joke that she needs a helmet (with hot rod flams, natch) when she travels.

Well, I went to the local used sports gear emporium and grabbed a hockey helmet for $12, my plan being to paint it burgandy with gold flames.

So here's the question, has anyone had any luck painting plastics and if so, what did you use?

ooo, i just saw this commercial for a new type of paint that is made specially for painting plastics, i forget the name of it offhand, but if you ask a home depot or lowes, they will probably know what your talking about

It's a new product called Krylon Fusion, they also have a contest going, with a chance to win a Mitsubishi Digital Big Screen TV and other stuff.

Oh and yes it is only available in spray cans :D

If you are doing it mostly for a joke, and just want an easy to use aerosol plastic paint, just buy some Testors model paint in spray cans from a hobby store or walmart or something. Even just standard plasticote or krylon will work. If you want a pro finish, use Base coat Clear coat automotive paints.

The Testors enamel spray paints work really well to swirl with also.They also have quite a few metallic colors to choose from.

if youre not using cans, you can always get a plasticer additive to add to your paint. Ive seen this stuff work , its great. We spilled some of the paint with the plasticiser in it on the floor and the next day it was like pure rubber!

If you want to work from spray cans ,then i cant help you there! , sorry

John.

I used some paint I got from Wal-Mart. Since it had a helmet as the example I figured I'd be safe (and it's color changing too, wooo wooo).

Yeah, ok, first off the cans are poorly designed. More paint comes out the top than comes out of the nozzle. I thought I might have just gotten a bum can but so far both the primer, the color-change and the completely unrelated can of black I bought have ALL shown this problem.

Then the paint kept pulling off the helmet when I was masking off the flames, even though I let it sit for 24 hours in my bone dry, 90 degree garage for the better part of 36 hours.

*sigh*

I never had these problems with painting wood. I just hope that all the paint doesn't pull off when I unmask the flames tonight (if it doesn't the helmet is going to look bad ass).