Inlay's n Fret's

hell dcord you sound like me!my wife calls me proffesor grammer and has forbidden me to correct hers.(i am however not proffesor speller so she gets hers in too)

p.s.i bet you really get pissed off watching ricki lake or jerry springer :D:D

Which is why I don't watch those shows. LOL

Nah, just the apostophe usage, which seems rampant here. It just makes it difficult for me to read the forum, and that's the whole point of coming here. B)

Hugs,

~d~

P.S. "grammar" :D

I've been thinking about getting into doing an inlay on a fret board after reading the tutorial on inlays.

My question is how hard would it be to do it without removing the fret's?

It can be done, in fact Herc does his inlay work that way. It's not the best way to do an inlay however, makes it very difficult to get the fretboard level...

~d~

I've been looking around and I seem to read that on a refret it is good to use a little glue but it isn't necessary on a fresh fret board is this correct and what kind of glue work's best?

I believe the pros will use a bit of CA (SuperGlue) to hold the frets in during a refret. This isn't usually necessary on a new board because the fret slots are cut to allow a tight fit. When the old frets are removed, the slot gets widened, and the new frets won't stay put firmly.

~d~

Leaving the frets in is a poor choice. What happens, is when you level all the inlays, you end up with like mini scallops, or different radius's all through the fretboard. If you even need a refret, you end up having to level the whole fretboard again anyway, or, just refret on the existing board and try to ignore all the funny lines. Plus, for an inlay like a vine or something, you can't inlay the stem, some people (not naming names) paint the stem on. I know 2 people who have gotten vine inlays from another place, and the stems are paint, which is fine, but it's worn off in very short time.

Best advice, pull the frets, it makes life so very much easier :D