Opinions Wanted

Thanks BeAR. I did like you pointed out on the reply in your thread. with the exeption that I did a clear coat pass to seal the gold. Everything else is the same. Yesterday I did the 2nd color stripe and did about 3 coats of clear. This morning I color sanded with 800 since there was some thick orange peel, and already have done 3 more coats, I am using a 500watt lamp to keep the shed were I got the guitar to keep it warm since yesterday and this morning was a little cold. Here are some pics.

This one is with flash

DSC01017.jpg

This other don't.

DSC01016.jpg

Edited, I just took this one in the sun to show the changing in colors, hope you guys like them,.

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Bear be the inspiration fro your LP 5150?? :D

Yes, I did a cheap imitation a log time ago, back in the 80's but Iwont cout that because I didn't even prep the guitar, just took it apart and taped the red base and themn painted the stripes white and used some of my dads electrical tape to do the black ones! Then I was going to do the strat and that one got blue since it is my Fav color... then I dacided to do Flames, but after doing a few mock ups, it didn't talked to me. So there were other 2 options, burst or EVH, I already had the colors, so I mock up the burst and thought that the main color that I wanted which was the Mirage, was only used at the edges, so the option became the 5150! I been following BeAr thread from the begining since I grow up listening to VH, and I my first real guitar was a Kramer Focus 1000 that I sold but regret it every day in 1990, It was the green bluish metallic color with Floyd and the sideways humbucker... So if I can't have one of those back (at least not yet) I will get my LP the treatment.

Looks awesome. Very cool finish to do on a LP and looks like you did a great job. Also good that if anyone wants to do an EVH finish on there guitar they can look here and know how to do it(or atleast figure out the jist of it).

today I got home early from work, so I decided to see if I could get somenthing done here. I wet sanded from 800 to 2000 going light on the 800 just to get some imperfection out and then followed with the other ones, I also blended the clears on the binding, about midway, can't see them even up close B) , After this I buffed using a round pad, like the ones used to apply wax to the cars and Kit scratch out (scratch and haze remover). here are the pics.

DSC01039.jpg

from the front without flash,

DSC01040.jpg

same with the flash on, see the difference in color :D

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

this two show the smooth that the finish came out! :D

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

two more from the side the whole guitar to show the smoothness again and from top to show some color change.

Edited to add a shot of the recessed for the controls

DSC01047.jpg

:D

Wow!

When I first saw what you were doing I thought it was a bad idea. Then I saw some of the colors and the stipes and was certain. Now with it all buffed out though, it looks seriously nice. Good job on that thing Maiden, now put the hardware back on her and let's jam!

EDB605.jpg

Thanks Wademeister, But iwill wait about 2 weeks before puting it together, this acrylic is a little slow curing, even thought the outside is hard you can feel that the inside still a little soft, I will wait about a week to check it and if it's cured imight go over it again with the 2000, to make sure that all imperfections are gone, I didn't did this with my strat and about a week after I polished, the finish developed a very light orange peel ( can't see it unless you look directly at the paint, from up close) so next sunday, If all is good I will put the post and electronics!

i didn't think i was gonna like it. i honestly thought when i saw the striping like EVH, it was just gonna look nasty. well...i got a surprise. it turned out a lot nicer than i thought. the color changing paint is really cool. the gold striped give the guitar a touch of class, and with all the stuff back on, it's gonna be a rocker. that's for sure.

One question to the more experienced luthiers and the ones with taste too. Should I ue the chrome hardware or change it to black with this paint set up? The only problem I got now if getting the same type tunners in black, but if not I will change to regulars. What do you say?

I'm not an experienced luthier, but I am experienced with design :D

I woudl say you would be right with either... but my preferencew ould be to stay with chrome. That said I dont remember 100% the colours.. ill check and edit back B)

edit:

I would say definitely stick with the chrome. Chrome is generally always pretty safe and in this case not only does it go well it gives a bit of contrast. Black hardware would be a bit overbearing i think. Like it would look alright, but it would sorta blend in an odd way, so im not entirely convinced black is a good idea, unless your going for a really dark look :D Chrome would add a subtle touch of class and would still be killer imo

btw, i cant wait to see it all finished! nothing quite like the finished job with hardware back in! Its gonna look really sweet :D

Congrats on a job well done :D

- Dan

Duplicolor, DAL 1695, I have used the SUV one for the Strat, but they didn't had it, si I got this one, and so far will be the one I will use for now on, It flowed great, burned thru fine, no sign of snading or anything. I'm trying to get a hold of their DPE 106 Acrylic, or DPL 106 laquer from their porfessional series to see if they are better. One advise will be to wait a few hours between coats. This paint will cure fast and will encourage you to keep shooting. I had the body hanging, like here

DSC01015.jpg

the glare you see is my 500W lamp. I spayed 3 mist coats and then about 5 heavy passes and didn't had a run, the finish once got kinda blushed, but it dissapeared almost inmediately. I can't wait to be able to spray poly, too expensive for now! As long as I can get good results from this I guess I will use it. I haven't used nitro ever so I don't know how to compare them. And Nitro's too expensive! 8-12 a can! when this one was $3.95 at autozone.

Stick with the chome. That thing would kill with a kahler, if thats your thing. Or a Washburn wonderbar, if you dont wanna mod.

I woul;dn't mind moding it, but I don't think they ever made a kahler with a round over base to fit a LP carve. But that 's a good suggestion. I don't like the other one, if it is like the Les-trem gimmick...