catalyzed acrylic urethane satin

Catalyzed finishes can -KILL- you, the fumes are lethal, and if they don't kill you, can cause -permanent damage- to your central nervous system if you don't use them 100% correctly and follow ALL safety precautions.

Still interested? :DB):D

...the fumes are lethal, and if they don't kill you, can cause -permanent damage- to your central nervous system if you don't use them 100% correctly and follow ALL safety precautions...

That sounds remarkably like the symptoms of poisoning from toluene, methyl ethyl ketone and xylene, the major solvents in nitro lacquer. None of this stuff is safe unless you're willing to take the necessary precautions. I believe that catayzed polyester is the really toxic stuff, similar to a nerve gas agent - I do know that in some jurisdictions you are required to have a special license to use it. Catalyzed automotive poly (as I understand it) is not as toxic, but a fresh-air respirator is highly recomended. LGM uses auto poly, he can probably give you specifics on how to avoid harming yourself.

I've been using catalyzed finishes for 7 years now, but I guess I don't know sh*t and we'll wait for Jeremy to appear.

Catalyzed automotive poly (as I understand it) is not as toxic, but a fresh-air respirator is highly recomended

Pal, that ain't even -50%- of the way there as far as cat safety is concerned.

While you are correct about those symptoms being similar to standard lacquer solvent poisening symptoms, lacquer has a much more 'forgiving' personality (don't take that as a liscence to be an idiot tho).

Cat don't play. One time in the danger zone is all it takes to incur a lifetime of damage and you ain't gonna be the sharpest pencil in the box no mo' to put it mildly.

...But we'll wait for Jeremy since I don't know nuthin 'boud it.

Drak,

I'm interested in finding out more about catalized finishes.

Did you use that stuff on this beautiful "Bones" super-high-gloss wet-looking sunburst? (guitar of the month for August)

What do you use?

Where do you get it?

Is it expensive?

Any new or special equipment needed?

What's all the extra precautions we should take?

I've heard face mask, body suit, maybe a dedicated room? explosion proof vent?

Anything else?

Like Drak said, all paint is dangerous if safety precautions aren't taken, and he is also right about catalyzed finishes being more dangerous than nitro. Don't get me wrong, nitro isn't good for you in the long wrong either, but those newer two part paints like polyester, polyurethane, etc. etc. can affect you immediately. You really need to have a good respirator for those and a good paint booth also. I was warned long ago about those paints when I talked to a friend who has been in the autobody field for years. He said, that a long time ago, he would even take his mask off at certain times when painting which was lacquer based at the time, and never had any problems. He didn't make it a practice to not wear a mask, but if he was painting one at home and didn't have a good one, he could still do it. When they went to the newer paints, he tried it out, and one day he was in a bind and painted with a paper type mask because he had to get finished with the car, since he promised to drop the car by later that afternoon. When he finished, he said he started feeling sick, and later on they went to drive the car back, which was 20 miles south of where he was, we'll to make a long story short, he ended up driving the wrong way and ended up in Memphis before he realised what was going on. He said it took him 2 weeks before he completely felt like normal. So, be careful if your gonna be using the newer paints, because they are deadly. Never, never paint with anything, unless you have the right stuff to do it safely.

I've been using catalyzed finishes for 7 years now, but I guess I don't know sh*t and we'll wait for Jeremy to appear.

:D Deepest apologies for my unintended insult - I was repeating what auto painters have told me, and should have done more research before blindly parroting that info. I meant no disrespect, especially to you personally, and was not implying that you didn't know what you were talking about. My point, obviously badly stated, was that any solvent-based finish is potentially lethal. Sorry if I caused any confusion.