Too much neck angle?

Hey,

just wondering if there is such thing as too much of a neck angle?

I am planning at the moment to put in a TOM. Im not sure what angle to cut the neck to (its gonna be a neck through) I currently have an epi g400 which has a 3degree neckangle and I realy like the feel of it.

Thanks

Hey,

just wondering if there is such thing as too much of a neck angle?

I am planning at the moment to put in a TOM. Im not sure what angle to cut the neck to (its gonna be a neck through) I currently have an epi g400 which has a 3degree neckangle and I realy like the feel of it.

Thanks

Yes. More than you require is too much. Less is too little.

Nobody can tell you how much neck angle you need for a guitar, since it is affected my which bridge you use, where you join the body and neck, and how much fretboard extends over the body. It is also affected by whether you use a flat or carved top, and whether you use a raised or flush fitted fingerboard.

Once you've decided on all of these, you can draw the whole thing out fullsize and you'll know what neck angle you need.

Yes. More than you require is too much. Less is too little.

:D

haha

anyway, i was fooling around with my guitar and discovered (stupidly) that neck angle is very important.

TOM need more neck angle obviously... i feel like i was just reading about neck angles... oh yeah here: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=0entry122795

i hope that helps...

(if im just repeating what you know and what has been said slap me)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so the the nut Ill be usin is this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/...tring_Nuts.html

and the bridge Ill be using is this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...cs.html#details

Its a 24 3/4" scale

What else do I need to calculate the angle I need?

look at the side of your guitar, look at how much wood is under the fingerboard? does the fingerboard look like it's sitting right on top of the guitar body? or can you see a bit of a shelf from the neck that it's sitting on to raise it up a bit from the body?

You need to know where the neck joins the body, and how far the fretboard will extend after this point. Bascially, you need to *draw everything out fullsize*. You'll also want to wait until you've got the bridge in your hands, since the Stew Mac specs drawing doesn't give a measure of height, which is critical to calculating neck angle.