Fret Bender

I posted this in the Making A Strat.. pictorial post, but thought I'd also show it here just in case there is anyone thinking about buying a good fret bender. I bought this Fret Bender from woodenspoke and I have been overall very satisfied with it.

Strat_fretbender02.jpg

I'd always wanted to build one, but wasn't sure on the exact specs on it, and also didn't exactly know how the center turn wheel was designed. Plus, I have so many project going, I don't want to stop just to make one. So I was glad to find a place I could get one that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Stew Mac's fret bender will cost you $89 and the ones he sells runs for $40.

Stew Mac's:

0345_1lg.jpg

Woodenspoke's:

3d_1_b.JPG

If you've ever bent wires with fret bending pliers, you'll know that it's a long process and still very inacurate. That's why a Fret Bender like this is so nice. You can get the perfect radius you need for any job by adjusting the wing nut until you have the fret bent to your needs.

Strat_fretbender05.jpg

Your going for a slightly overbent radius so the edges hold down after pressing or hammering. When I used the fret bender it was seconds and I had the wire exactly how I wanted it.

Strat_fretbender07.jpg

Strat_fretbender08.jpg

The reason I'm posting it here is because he said that anyone who bought one and mentioned that they was a Project Guitar member, he'd take off the shipping charge. If you purchase one, just before you push for final payment, in the comments box let him know your a PG member, and he will adjust the price before you do the final Pay Pal. He will get back in touch and adjust it. Just talk to him if you have any questions. I just wanted to pass along this information, since it might save someone some money, if you was considering buying one.

My Overall Rating: 9

As far as a product review, I would have to give it a 9 out of 10. It does a great job when you follow the instructions he sends with it. The only worry is the middle wheel, which I don't see being a problem so far, but he will replace them if they ever wear out for free the first year. Also, the actual material that the fret bender is made out of could have been slightly heavier material, but it still works great. It's just concerns that might be an issue years down the road. And that's something I can't judge right now, but I'm happy with the product so far.

MaTT V

I've had my StewMac one for about 16 years. I think I paid $72.00 for it. It's built like a tank.

What the heck is the black wheel made out of on that one ?

I'd like to try to explain to you how the StewMac one works. The roller-bearing that adjust the amount of radius is mounted on an "off center" thing, which turns when you loosen the knurled nut. turning it, moves it farther or closer to the wheel controled by the crank handle. What a lousy way of explaining it, but I can't come up with a better explaination at the moment.

I still need to build one that straightens bent wire. I keep talking about it and never do it.

EDIT: I looked at the link and see that wheel is delrin. My stewmac one is brass.

I don't know if the current stewmac one is brass or what. I know it's black.

I think I'll want that wheel to be steel when I start working with stainless fret-wire soon.

now, ive never worked with fretwire before,. however it seems to be you could just cut a block of wood in a circle with a radi the same as the fretboard. youd probably have to cut a slot for the tang to sit in, but thats still easier than spending $40 + on a bender. then wrap the fretwire around and tape it. if im wrong then im wrong but sometimes the simplest answers are the best.

is fretwire hammered in all the time? or do people ever use glue/epoxy?

That sounds like the way Brian (owner of this site) does it, and he has a tutorial of that on this site.

Another very basic method is to cut a slot on the edge of your work bench and draw the wire over the slot (fret-wire tang in the slot) while putting pressure on it. You'll get some kind of radius :D

For those who are interested, I read Brian's tutorial on making the wire bender (mentioned a couple of replys up) and made it up. I am really happy with it. It takes me less than 30 seconds to bend 2 ft of wire, it ends up the right radius, but more importantly it only cost me AU50c, so that's even less for those Americans out there, and a couple of hours of my timetime (I know nothing about wood working, so the going was a bit slower than just about anyone! :D).

If I was building guitars for a living, I'd buy the wire bender, but since I can't claim it on tax, I'm going the cheap option.

Just letting the poorer of us know that the cheaper option still works great! B)

I buy my wire from Allied Lutherie in 25' lengths; they must take it off a spool because it comes already wrapped in a ~12" radius; I just cut it and use it directly. If you want it a smaller radius, just tighten up the radius of the wire, tape it still, and let it sit for a few weeks.

I think Allied is ran by a guy who used to work for LMI. I'm pretty sure they are 2 different places.

I would think I could make a good copy of the stewmac one for no more than $20.00

I have an old car window crank handle in my junk drawer that would probably work for a home-made one.

My stewmac one is real good for multi radius boards. I bend the wire for the 20th- 22nd frets, adjust the bearing a little tighter for the next few frets, etc etc.

I also harden the wire, by bending it into a tight radius, then straightening it, then bending it again.

I think it's great that people have an alternative to the stewmac tool although I do own the stewmac bender myself. It is a very handy tool to have - very quick and painless to use. When I first saw the one Frenzy had, I was wondering what that middle wheel was made of - if it's delrin it should last a while. I guess it depends on haw many necks you build per year, but I'd guess that it would be fine.

Frenzy- is there a slot cut in that middle wheel - it's very hard to see?

I think it's great that people have an alternative to the stewmac tool although I do own the stewmac bender myself. It is a very handy tool to have - very quick and painless to use. When I first saw the one Frenzy had, I was wondering what that middle wheel was made of - if it's delrin it should last a while. I guess it depends on haw many necks you build per year, but I'd guess that it would be fine.

Frenzy- is there a slot cut in that middle wheel - it's very hard to see?

Yes, there is a small slot that goes all the way around the middle wheel and your right about the material used. I have to say that it looks like it should last for a very long time and he's even good enough to replace the middle wheel if it goes bad for a year. I think after that it's still cheap to buy. I'm with you though, it's hard to do custom radius boards on the fly without one, it's just very handy to have. If your doing compound radius boards you can really get a slightly different radius each step of the way, and that's where it come in handy. But, if your just building all your guitars with the 12" radius all the time, then you probably could get by with one like Brian shows how to make. I've got one of those also.