Translucent Laquer?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the duplicolor Metalcast are translucent colors, but I haven't heard of anyone using them yet for base coat, just to paint chromed parts as posted by Litch, he said that for that it worked, :D may be he would be nice enough to get a scrap piece of wood and try it to let us the humble ones at PG know his findings. It would be most welcomed...

You're supposed to make your own translucent lacquer.

Mix alcohol-based anilyne dye or the metallic-based dyes into lacquer thinner, then blend in the colored thinner into your lacquer...presto, instant translucent lacquer. :DB)

You're supposed to make your own translucent lacquer.

Mix alcohol-based anilyne dye or the metallic-based dyes into lacquer thinner, then blend in the colored thinner into your lacquer...presto, instant translucent lacquer. :D  B)

Drak, that's great if you are shooting with a paint gun, but what about for the people with cans? Can I mix this ans shoot it with a preval system and then use the Duplicolor Acrylic clear to finish it...

Yes, and even if you're attempting a wipe-on, you can 'make' your own wiping lacquer too.

I believe the only difference between regular lac and wiping lac is they add in retarder so it doesn't dry as fast to give you time to get it wiped on w/ no brush marks. There might be some flow-out additive too, not sure tho. It wouldn't hurt to thin it a bit, it's not a good idea to apply lacquer too thick, no matter what the application type.

There is a certain way you wipe on lacquer, it's not quite like wiping on paint.

You basically wipe a stroke on and don't go back over it, make each stroke overlap a little, but you can't just keep going over lacquer with a brush over and over like you can with paint, you put a brushstroke on and leave it and continue on.

And you have your brush full of lacquer, don't wipe off much excess, you want quite a bit on the brush to help it flow out properly.

I don't know the amount of retarder to add since I don't wipe on tho.

So basically, if you were to make some tinted wiping lacquer, here's the process:

Since thinner is usually only used for shooting, you'd probably use no thinner, so you'd add your anilyne dye into the retarder, and you use -very little- retarder. If you use too much retarder, the finish will never dry hard, it will remain soft, so use the retarder -very sparingly-.

So you've added the anilyne dye into the retarder and stirred well.

*Or you can mix your dye into a little bit of thinner if you want, not much tho, but you need to add the dye into something that will break it down first before you add it into the lacquer itself, whether it's the retarder or a bit of thinner, doesn't matter.*

Now you add the tinted retarder into your lacquer and stir that in gently but thoroughly.

Now you apply it one even brushstroke at a time, going across the piece longitudinally, from top to bottom, not side to side, barely overlapping the last stroke, but a little bit.

If you're using a Preval sprayer, then you'll be thinning it with thinner, so then mix your dye into the thinner. But I'd still recommend a -tiny- bit of retarder, even when using a Preval sprayer.

Amount? For one Preval load, probably 1/4 teaspoon or so, just to give you an idea of amounts and ratios. A little retarder goes a long way, and too much retarder will ruin the finish. B)

So you can make any color tinted lacquer you can possibly think of, just mix your anilyne dyes first to get the color shade you want, and away you go.

That's it. :D

Check your local area phone book for any professional finishing supply places.

Or ask a few local professional finish carpenters where they get their supplies locally. It will be a 'bulk' place.

Or you could e-mail Behlen or Lockwood directly and ask them if they supply any places near to you. If you find a hit for Behlens, say, that same place will more than likely have 'everything', so if you find one hit, you'll probably hit the jackpot, dig?

You don't buy 'pigments', you buy 'anilyne dyes'.

Stew-Mac sells them as Colortone metallic stains I think, but I thought you wouldn't buy on-line, have you changed your mind that fast? :D:DB)

Water-based lacquer is a completely different product. Everything I have referred to thus far has been concerned with regular lacquer, not water-based. :D

Hang in there, you're creeping forward. :D

Stew-Mac sells them as Colortone metallic stains I think, but I thought you wouldn't buy on-line, have you changed your mind that fast?  

LOL...well i would only buy online if my mommy :D would buy it lol. cuase i dont have a credit card yet. And i dont theink stew mac had any regular lacqur...just in the areosole cans. Or is that what i should get for the mix? but yes....i am creeping forward and thanks for the help

Check your local area phone book for any professional finishing supply places.

Or ask a few local professional finish carpenters where they get their supplies locally. It will be a 'bulk' place.

Or you could e-mail Behlen or Lockwood directly and ask them if they supply any places near to you. If you find a hit for Behlens, say, that same place will more than likely have 'everything', so if you find one hit, you'll probably hit the jackpot, dig?

Have you done this yet?

You might not have to go on-line to buy, you just have to find the 'right' place near you.

Where are you located, town and country, maybe I can find one for you.

Have you done this yet?

You might not have to go on-line to buy, you just have to find the 'right' place near you.

Where are you located, town and country, maybe I can find one for you

Nah i havent but i think im going to go with the easy way out. Litchfield's idea was good. I saw the metal cast at Aut ozone but they didnt have the color i wanted :D Drak thanks for all the help though. On my next project ithink im going to do the transparent laqcuer B)

Thats the duplicolor blue metalcast topcoat. Thats your easiest option

After i apply that over the sanding sealer should i just use coats and coats of lacquer and dupli colors clear coat?