volume boost?

mattdowney

hey, i play in a metal band and i need something to boost my sound for when i play solos, so they are not overtaken by the rythem guitar. is there anything that will boost my siginal, give me more volume and maybe gain? would a overdrive pedal work? i know if you turn on a distortion pedal on while your amp is on distortion it will just make noise and feedback but would a overdrive pedal do this? any welp will be greatly apriciated.

thanks ,matt

He's right, IMO at least, MOSFETs, JFETs and CMOS ICs all distort much more like tubes than bipolar transistors or diode clippers - unfortunately, they're all more linear than any tube ever made, and it's the non-linear response of tubes that makes them sound the way they do. You can get mighty close, though - go to Runoff Groove and check out their FET "amp simulators", in particular the Thunderchief, the Matchbox, the Double D and the Supreaux. The sound clips show how close you can get without digital modelling or any fancy circuit design. I still generally prefer real tubes, but I think you'll agree that they've gotten very close, and it's a lot easier to tote a couple of stompboxes than a couple of half-stacks.

For clean boost, it doesn't make much difference, but if there's any hint of overdrive, I'd go FET.

this will work, also the afterburner from EMG, but I have no experience on this one and I heard that they make a lot of noise when engaged . What kind of amp do you have? A tube amp can be overdriven and still put a deacent sound, that's what Zakk and Yngwie do to get their sound, also a wah pedal will boost the signal, especialy if you get a Morley,