"Estaban" guitar : cool or kack?

I've just had someone ask me about the "Estaban" guitar since they are thinking about getting a guitar for their kid.

Now, regardless of what I think of Estaban, the dramatic up lighting, the black hat and shades, and the completely silly way that he picks the strings with his fingernails, this infomercial has now forced me to ask the question...

What is the guitar really like?

Have any of you guys ever played one?

Do you own one?

Is it worth considering as a beginner guitar?

i dont know if i would buy a guitar off the tv, and especially since it comes with an 'esteban' amp. errrr....yeaaaah.

i like how he goes "this guitar is great! solid spruce top!, ect ect" then he picks up his 20k guitar and is playing it instead.

isnt it like 150$? i guess you get what you pay for.

Well, you get what you pay for. A little common sense would probably tell you that if someone's saying they'll give you a Martin D-28 level guitar for $150, it's probably a nice lie.

The problem I've heard and WWW confirmed is that the action is very high or gets higher because of weak bracing. Now, I don't know about you, but when I was learning it was frustrating enough with a relatively low action. If you want your friend to stick with it, tell 'em to pick up a cheap Washburn, Fender, Epi, or Ibanez. It won't cost much more, if at all, and it'll hold up for a few good years of playing.

From what I've heard they're horrible. Everyone hates that at the harmony central forums, and there are also reviews at harmony central, maybe look at those.

I've basically heard they are complete garbage.

On a side note, someone at the harmony central forums is pretending to be Esteban, including having the user name, "Esteban", some of the threads are kind of funny.

Here's a link.

Edited by Lex Luthier

This is what I suspected. I remember playing those god awful Global guitars back as a kid. Those guitars were made out of cardboard (or at least it seemed like they were). They would warp like a banana after about a year.

Good suggestion about getting the cheaper name brand guitars from a proper shop. There a little comfort in buying it from a shop and getting a chance to see it before buying it. Even if you don't know how to play, you can see and feel the difference in junk and quality.

Now I need to suggest a video or something for them to use. Estaban has a video (oh, please, now I can witness the hat and uplighting any time I want *swoon*). Maybe I should just suggest that they take up fishing instead of guitar. :D

LOL, I sat thru one of his info-mercials for about 10 minutes before I turned the TV off in disgust. Hey! Its made of REAL WOOD! I just had to laugh. Maybe the guitar IS worth 3 payments of $69, you also get what you pay for. As far as the "easy to learn" lessons, well, we all (or most of us) know what learning how to play is about. Nothing happens overnight. In one sense, its probably good for beginners because they will know what not to buy next time they shop for a guitar.

Edited by Southpa

I have a Yamaha and a Fender less then $200 models and they are pretty decent guitars. The Yamaha I've had for 8 or 9 years and it's still in good shape. I bought the Fender about 3 years ago for my oldest and later got her a $500 Ibanez, though the Ibanez is pretty the Fender plays much better.

The kit I got her I believe was the Fender® DG-8S Acoustic Guitar Value Pack

and the completely silly way that he picks the strings with his fingernails,

I realize you're probably joking Bill, but I didn't know classical guitar is actually played with the nails until I took some lessons. It's really handy to have 5 picks literally right at your fingertips!

Ya, I tooks some spanish classical, flamigo years ago, it's a completely different way of playing.

and the completely silly way that he picks the strings with his fingernails,

I realize you're probably joking Bill, but I didn't know classical guitar is actually played with the nails until I took some lessons. It's really handy to have 5 picks literally right at your fingertips!

Ya, I tooks some spanish classical, flamigo years ago, it's a completely different way of playing.

Well, yeah, I know that you play classical with your fingernails. I played classical for about 6 years when I first got started. It's just that Esteban looks... gay... when he does it.

My Dad bought one of those Estaban guitars or whatever. He only plays it like once a month so he wanted the cheapest he could find lol. I tried it and the first thing you should do is change the strings - it's like playing with dried up bass strings. Overall this guitar is terrible. I suggest if you want a decent accoustic get a Yamaha. They have always had good accoustics.

-Jamie

1. It's a helluva lot better than what I started on. You CAN do a lot worse for the money. It's entry-level equipment...keep in mind that all the people who complain about it are a lot more than entry-level players....a package with all the stuff you need in it ready to go for that cash is great for someone who knows nothing about playing.

2. To all who feel like making a dig on Estaban...let's hear what you can do. For a guy who came out of a car wreck unable to play for years and years, he's incredible.

Boing!

1. It's a helluva lot better than what I started on. You CAN do a lot worse for the money. It's entry-level equipment...keep in mind that all the people who complain about it are a lot more than entry-level players....a package with all the stuff you need in it ready to go for that cash is great for someone who knows nothing about playing.

2. To all who feel like making a dig on Estaban...let's hear what you can do. For a guy who came out of a car wreck unable to play for years and years, he's incredible.

Boing!

one word buddy -- Charo!!!!!

Yeah, at least Charo is hot for a 50-year-old chick. I saw her on the MDA telethon a few weeks ago and she's still smokin'. Cootchy-Cootchy-Coo!

I don't think anyone would say Esteban is a bad guitarist, I would say that he's probably the most shameless self-promoter since Garth Brooks, though.

Three words: All Wood Construction.