2 New Projects For The Year

Alright, my V is shaped now and looks really good. Im loving it. I finished all the routing i had to do so the plastic guy could take it back. Its there for good now. I will be getting the body and plastic on wednesday or so. Now its time to start working on my necks. My question is what do u guys do first, drill holes for inlay or taper down the fret board. I have a center line drawn and all the spots marked for my led inlays so i will prolly do that first. Anyway, here is a pic of my v. Let me know what you think.

All pics located here Pics

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont take any of ur comments or really anyones one here as critism Greg :D . Like yourself im not the best or anything close to it, so usually i take all the advice i can get to heart. B) So dont feel bad at all for asking question in which some people might take ofensive cause i dont. Im here to learn like everyone else and ask questions which i think are stupid sometimes too, but unless u ask how are you gonna learn right? :D But yeah there should be plunty of wood. Its just the way the pic is taking it looks like there is a lot less then there should be, but i should be fine.

Well, the plastic shop called me today and told my plastic was done so i went down there only to find out that they cut the plastic to the template after i strickly told them to follow my body and the template was only to be used for the pickup holes and what not. So now they have to recut it, however i did get a to see what it will look like when its done and it looks really really cool. So when i get it back on monday i will post some pics of it. Tomarrow im gonig to start shaping the back of my jem neck, i have the truss rod finally routed through it so ill keep all ya updated.

No, i gave them my template that i got off the net of the jem body. However, my jem body is slightly smaller then the template, i told them to make the size of the mirrored plastic the size of the body then to use the pickups holes off the template (dont know why i did that, my fault there for even giving them the template) but they did it wrong. However it is going to be fixes we will see how it comes out on monday.

I havent quite decided what its gonna look like yet lol.

I think you WILL have to do it that way, really on that V there is not much wood to do it otherwise. But the good news is that your higher fret access will be awsome. I hate most Vs because I can't reach down to about the 22 fret, even on 24 fret Jacksons.

I was looking for Daviv Mykas neck jig, but I couldn't. But follow this page and you will see the joint he did on this guitar. Thats what you need to do! It will be so nice!!!!

Good luck with it, that Veneer looks sweet (it's a veneer right?)

Well, new discovery. I had a scrap piece of that mirror plastic at my house that the guy at the plastic store gave and after all the headaches this guy has caused me i grabed it and my template and went outside. Set up my router with a template bit and tried cutting it. The guy at the plastic shop said that you had to do all this special shite in ordet to keep the mirror from coming off the back of the plastic, however i knew he was feeding me a bunch of crap when i went in there yesterday and he talked about how he cut it with a router bit. Turns out this stuff is simple as pie to cut. The dude was feeding me crap cause he wanted my business and knew i was a kid and could take advantage of me. So basicly i learned a 100 doller lesson of never have someone else do the work for you. Always do it yourself. Things stay a lot easier that way. If anyone has any questions aobut how to cut this stuff just ask me. I could prolly write a tut on how to get the chrome effect of how to make your own bad horsie jem.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my plastic back from the shop finally cut and everything. However i will still be doing some mods to it myself that they didnt do. Progress has been kinda slow, ive been practicing for this school gig thing on thursday so yeah. I got fretboards cut and truss rod channels cut. Next i will drill holes for leds and i decided im going to add bindings to the fretboards along with the bodys. The jem will get a pearloid binding and the V will get a white plastic binding. My bro took his digi cam back cause he needed it but as soon as i get it back i will post some pics.

Man I just took a realy good look at that V and I love it Im not sure what it is about it but I want one now and that maple looks nuts GOOD STUFF :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks matt, that means a lot cause totally respect your work. Just a quick question do i install fretboard binding before or after i fret the fretboard. I got holes drilled for leds today. Also what router bit do u guys use for the binding around the guitar, should i order the one from stew mac?

I got the rest of my led holes drilled and will try installing them this weekend. Tomarrow i plan on gluing binding to the fretboards and start sanding down and shaping the back of the necks and rounding them. Tomarrow when i get home i plan on doing some work on my plastic. By the end of this weekend i hope to have

1. leds installed and working

2. fretboards ready to be fretted and glued to neck

3. Necks almost finished

4. plastic ready to be glued to body.

Thanks matt, that means a lot cause totally respect your work. Just a quick question do i install fretboard binding before or after i fret the fretboard. I got holes drilled for leds today. Also what router bit do u guys use for the binding around the guitar, should i order the one from stew mac?

Ya know man Im not the guy to ask I've never worked with binding But I would think You would have to put it on first before you fret the board

But Im not realy sure you should ask perry

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Cut fret slots, check the depth (remember radiusing will reduce depth as you get to the edge of the board, so I get the radius very close before binding, then adjust acordingly). Try to avoid getting much glue in the slots, I like to clean them before the glue cures (it will be a pain to clean out later). I would avoid using heavy grit on the plastic, as it will cut fatser and deeper than the wood around it. I scrape it to get it close, then polish the board with finer grits. This is how I have done this in the past, but I have more experience with wood binding that plastic. So I would try to get advice from one of the more experienced members. They may have better methods. Hope that helps a little.

Peace, Rich