Coil tap and hi-pass filter?

atifman

what exacty is Coil tap? i've looked around, and all i can gather is that it splits the humbucker into a single one or something like that.

and how would i go about implementing it on my guitar (or any guitar)? ( i got a regular split-5 way thing on my ibanez)

how difficult or expensive would it be?

(btw, i'm just thinking about it, not actually planning to do it)

now, to confuse matters, i must ask about coil splitting. what is that? or is that the same thing? then, whats it called when you have an additional "hot" wire from the pickup, which shorts part of the coil, giving less output. or am i on a bicycle ride in the middle of nowhere now?

Sounds like y'all are talking about two different things. Coil splitting/tapping and splitting a humbucker.

For a humbucker you have two hot wires and two ground wires. Typically the ground of one coil is fed to the hot lead of the other to give you the bog standard "series" humbucker. That leaves you with one hot and one ground wire left.

To tap, or split the humbucker, you just ground that spliced hot to ground connection between the two pickups. It just takes one coil out of the circuit, leaving you with a single coil.

i must ask about coil splitting. what is that? or is that the same thing? then' date=' whats it called when you have an additional "hot" wire from the pickup, which shorts part of the coil [/quote']

Tapping a single coil would require a special pickup. You're right, you have 3 leads from the coil. One hot, one ground, and one lead that is in the middle of those two. You can think of that extra "in the middle" lead as the same thing as the splice in the series humbucker case. Ground that wire and you effectively remove half of your single coil from the circuit.

hey there guys,

i have question on this matter, that i need help with. i have an esp h301 at the mo. this has 2 emg hz's. but the good thing about the guitar is that it has a 5 way switch for the 2 humbuckers, which is cool i think, cos it gives you a great range of tones.

i am planning to upgrade the emg hz's to an 81 and 85. however, i have been told that the 5 way switch will have to go for a 3 way switch, because the 81 and 85 cannot be split (unlike the 89). would i be bale o use a soil tap to split the 81 and 85, and therefore keep the 5 way switch?

cheers

hey there guys,

i have question on this matter, that i need help with. i have an esp h301 at the mo. this has 2 emg hz's. but the good thing about the guitar is that it has a 5 way switch for the 2 humbuckers, which is cool i think, cos it gives you a great range of tones.

i am planning to upgrade the emg hz's to an 81 and 85. however, i have been told that the 5 way switch will have to go for a 3 way switch, because the 81 and 85 cannot be split (unlike the 89). would i be bale o use a soil tap to split the 81 and 85, and therefore keep the 5 way switch?

cheers

you can replace that EMG85 with an EMG89, which is essentially an 85 with a coil tap, but you cannot, in any way shape or form, coil tap an EMG81.