Microplane

johnsilver

I usually use rasps to get a neck carve started at the head and heel, then connect using a spokeshave. I love the feel of cutting with a sharp spokeshave.

However, for Christmas, I got a flat microplane with 8" blade and a handle on both ends. I used it yesterday to carve a neck from mahogany. OMG!! It cut so easily and quickly. I could cut on the pull or push using very light strokes without binding or chattering and I felt totally in control. Shaped the neck in much less time than usual for me.

Heres a pic of the back of the neck just press fit into the body. Heel isn't shaped and more work to do.

SGback.jpg

Microplanes are great, huh? Small warning: don't push them too hard, or you can 'flatten' all the little teeth. It'll feel as if it's dull, but its not.

I still want to get a good half-round rasp (I've got a decent one..want a Nicholson #49), but my microplane and my Shinto hacksaw rasp are my favourite neck shaping tools. Much faster than my lousy spokeshave, and the finish is surprisingly smooth.

What brand is it? Got a link? Your neck looks awesome by the way

Microplane is the brand name. I believe Lee Valley, Woodcraft carry them in the US, Axminster in the UK (to name but a few sources). They come in various shapes, some to fit sureform frames, some to fit their own handles. They also make food graters.

Mattia, thanks for the tip on pushing too hard.

And I bought a smaller one for my wife - she uses it to shave parmesan cheese. Works equally well.

Ninoman123 - Microplane is the brand as Mattia pointed out. That's it sitting on my bench to the left of the neck. They aren't that expensive and replacement blades are available also.

Thanks for the compliment on the neck thus far. Here is a pic of the front of the neck. The nut is a placeholder and still more work to do. Installed frets yesterday but no pics yet.

SGfront.jpg

The Hartville Tool site is good. Thanks.

In looking at some of these links, I haven't seen a microplane like mine that has a handle at both ends. I found that the two handle style really adds an element of control, and I can use the microplane on either a push or pull stroke. I got mine at Woodcraft, but even their site doesn't show a two-handled version. I think it's worth looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the microplane rotary shapers and also bought their template set for the shapers. Wow. Great little tool. I also saw the two handed shaper that johnsilver was raving about. It's only $12! I'm picking one up next payday.

I got my grubby little hands on this tool. Thanks for the tip johnsilver! While I was there, I also picked up enough wood for 2 birdseye maple strat necks and a rosewood tele neck. We'll see how these microplane tools work on these two somewhat difficult woods. I'm wondering if the rosewood will blunt the microplane tool and wondering if I'll see any tearout on the birdseye maple?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried the hacksaw mount blades. They are the same thing as the standalone microplane blades though so should work ok. For me, I'd rather have the individual tools rather than have to change blades on a hacksaw. The hacksaw blades cost almost as much as the individual tools.

Seems like a matter of personal preference. Having bought the two-handed rasp from microplane (and also owning several of the one handed versions), it seems like using two hands would give you the best control, especially on contours/carves. I wonder if I could find one of these two-handeds in the half-round version?