Guitar Of The Month For February

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members,

so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for

a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project

Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose

(even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to

see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 24th of

January then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss

any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of

this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to

Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum

members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Let me present to you:

The Evenstar (I'm so going to be sued by the Tolkien family)

Specs:

Bear claw figured Sitka Spruce top

Mahogany backs, sides and neck (carbon reinforced)

Ebony fretboard

Ebony peghead overlay and backstrap

Ebony bindings, trussrod cover and trims

Ebony bridge

Black buffalo horn nut and saddle

Gotoh 510 “contoured” gold tuners with ebony buttons

Mother of pearl “tree of life” inlay

Top domed to 25’

Access door for facilitate easy adjustments of bracings and installation of electronics (if there will ever be any)

Back (X-braces) domed to 15’

Neck attached with a bolt on system similar to the one used by Taylor

This is actually my first acoustic and I have been planning on entering it for GOTM for a couple of months. My little Christmas competition finally got me going on that part. I have always thought that the Kasha-Schneider design is (at least in theory) very well thought out. And as I was originally trained to be an engineer I can easily see the “science” behind the bracing layout.

Anyone knowing me a bit better knows that I never do things the easy way. So instead of 1, Building a standard X-braced guitar, or 2, following the Kasha-Schneider plans I modified everything to be a mix between the later and some Ovation bracing patterns. All the braces are carbon fibre reinforced as that makes perfect sense here in Scandinavia with cold dry winters and warm humid summers. The carbon fibre helps keeping the over all shape of the top dome and add a bit of stiffness to the braces.

One of the main objectives behind this guitar was to make a guitar for playing unplugged. I wanted a loud guitar with lots of projection, almost throwing the sound against the listener. And how did it work out? Very well actually! The sound of this guitar is very personal. This is also one of the loudest flat top guitars I have ever played. And it isn't just loud. The sound is balanced with a strong focus on the fundamentals within the frequency spectra. It is almost like a mix between a traditional X-braced guitar and a Selmer/Django Reinhart style guitar.

For the look I went after a scaled down, simple look, with a simple black and white scheme with the MOP inlay as only decoration. But then I couldn’t stop myself so I had to add a few things, like the elevated soundhole ellipse, and the inlayed access door

So here it is:

full_front.JPG

Close up of the head:

head_1.JPG

The inlay:

tree_of_life.JPG

The body with bear claw figured top and elevated ebony soundhole ring (ellipse)

body_showing_bear_claw.JPG

Close up of soundhole ring:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...d_hole_ring.JPG

Cut away area:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...utaway_area.jpg

The neck heel and carbon fibre neck reinforcements:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...neck_heel_1.JPG

Another frontal pic:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...side_view_1.JPG

And another:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...side_view_2.JPG

The bridge (and yeah, the saddle is intonated by now):

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...star/bridge.JPG

The back (lovely striped mahogany) and backstaped head:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...r/full_back.JPG

One more of the back:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...Back_of_box.JPG

Inlayed access door:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/image...r/trap_door.JPG

My build blog:

http://peternaglitschluthier.com/evenstar/...%20progress.htm

and main presentation page of this guitar:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/evenstar/Evenstar.htm

• 3 weeks later...

This is my Flying V Supreme. It is my 4th guitar project and likely my last for a while. This one has a fast thin feeling neck that just plays great. The specs are:

One piece flamed maple neck

Mahogany body

Quilt Maple Top and Headstock Laminate

Flamed maple back and cavity cover

Ebony Fingerboard

Gold Pearl dot inlays and matching truss rod cover

Unbleached bone nut

Abalone side dots

Gold fretwire - 6105

Abalone Pearl "W" Headstock inlay

Overwound Golden Age Pickups

1 vol, 1 Tone, 3 way switch

Recessed output jack placed near the straplock

Gotoh Bridge

String thru

Ping Tuners

Full binding on neck, headstock and body - front and back

Charcoal finish (black dye)

Nitrocelluse Lacquer

100_1667.jpg

100_1666.jpg

100_1668.jpg

100_1672.jpg

A couple of more pictures:

Back Body

Back Neck

Full Shot 2

Full Shot 3

Full Shot 4

Full Shot 5

Body

Link to build thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0&start=0

This is my second build, although my first proper guitar build. My first being an ashbory bass (google g1_ashbory).

She goes by the name of the Jayda LS-4 (until I can think of a better name)

Maple-Purpleheart-Maple neck

Ash body wings with walnut on top and bubinga at the back

Rosewood fb with maple binding and Gold MOP Jayda logo on 12th fret

Custom african blackwood and maple bridge *

EMG 35P4 pup

Schaller semi-covered pegs

Gold fretwire

African blackwood knobs (not in the pics)

Satin finish

* The bridge in the pic needs to be replaced/remade. An unfortunate incident meant that it got damaged but I'm unsure when I'll have time to fix it.

P1000838.JPG

P1000839.JPG

P1000825.JPG

More pics

Build thread

Edited by g1_

Hi All, just finished this one this month. I'll call it the P-90 tele. I know, pretty unimaginative name. This was built from a mahogany board a friend found laying in the middle of the road right after a truck ran over it. It had some dings and cracks, but there was enough of it intact to make a 5-piece body (2-piece top and 3-piece back sandwiched together) and most of the neck. It is a bit of a hybrid with the P-90s, wrap-around bridge, and neck angle of 1 degree.

Here are the specs/details:

5-piece Honduras mahogany body

3-piece mahogany/curly maple/mahogany neck with birdseye maple fretboard

ebony headstock inlay set in red "play sand" mixed into epoxy (long story)

Cavity cover with magnets instead of screws

J.S. Moore P-90 pups (10k neck, 11k bridge)

Cherry red nitrocellulose lacquer finish (McFaddens)

Thanks for looking

Cheers - Greg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Here are a few more links to pics:

Back of body

Fretboard

Top different angle

Neck joint

Full shot

Here is my entry: The Ouroboros

GuitarF5.jpg

guitarF4.jpg

I conceived of this project almost 2 years ago. Luckily, I found the perfect people to help me realize this dream and also add their own personal touches and ideas into the mix. It was a long process, but I learned alot along the way and I think the end result was definitely worth it. :D

It is a custom basswood body shaped like a Steinberger GM except the edges have been rounding like a JS model Ibanez. The neck is a headless composite neck from Moses Graphite and the bridge is a TransTrem Steinberger bridge. It only has one pickup, an EMG 89 in the bridge position. It has a Sustainiac in the neck slot -- but it isn't wired as a pickup. There is no tone pot. The volume post has a push/pull as a coil split. The blade switch controls the various Sustainiac modes (off, fundamental mode, mix mode 1, mix mode 2, and harmonic mode). You can hold a note or a chord and flip it into a mix mode, let the harmonic come in, flip into the other mix mode until it kicks in and then flip it off. It sounds like an amp feeding back. Major cool factor and really easy to get used to. There is also a momentary kill switch for all the cheesy Buckethead-esque antics that you can dream up. I wanted to have a setup worthy of a screamin' lead machine with lots of bells and whistles, but minimal controls. You'll even notice that the volume knob is a half-size dome knob. I think I got what I wanted.

The body was custom created by Rick Canton. No CNC was used. It is all hand-shaped and routed. He spent many hours shaping the sides until we both felt it was exactly what I was trying to achieve. I think the body shape is very sexy.

MoreShapingFront.jpg

The artwork is a representation of the Great World Snake (or Ouroboros), which represents the infinite life/death cycle. This is the snake that is eating it's own tail. In this case, it is the red snake in a figure 8 that is dead center on both the front and the back of the guitar. It is depicted subtlely, so that it doesn't slap the viewer with it's presence. You can see it best on the back of the guitar. This was added due to the 'sustainer' on the guitar, which lends itself well to the notion of 'infinity'. The other snakes represent different aspects of life and are depicted as offspring of the Ouroboros by the artist. Originally, it was loosely inspired by the Donnie Hunt 'Snakes' guitar, but has really taken a life of it's own. The artwork is hand-brushed acrylic paint by a very talented artist in Santa Fe named Therese Des Jardin. I gave her my concept and initial parameters (which wasn't much) and she discussed it with me for a while and then created this work of art. She is really great to work with. A lot of the paints used are metallic acrylics and really shine in the sun or under bright lights. The brushwork also adds dimension to the artwork that is visible under the clear-coat. My main goal was to have an intricate, intertwined collection of snakes that seamlessly transititioned around the entire body done in a rich, classy color palatte. I think I got it!

This shot was before the clear-coat was added:

PreClearCoat5.jpg

The clear-coat was done by Shadoe Mckee at Beyond Custom Guitars.

Here is an image gallery for more pics.

I hope you like it!

This is one I built several years ago. When I first joined the forum, I posted pics of it, and Marksound suggested I enter it in GOTM, but I was never very happy with the neck, and didn't feel it was up to snuff.

Now, I have finally got around to making a new neck for it, and here it is:

barny6.jpg

The top is made from a piece of weathered oak barn siding, and the back is spalted beech, from a 2x6 in the same barn.

Yes, it is quite heavy. :D

barny3.jpg

barny2.jpg

The tailpiece and trussrod cover are made from old iron strap hinges, and the pickguard is rusted roof tin. Knobs are deer antler. Schaller humbucker, and DiMarzio tele neck pickup.

The headstock plate is weathered cypress from a fence board. Grover Deluxe vintage style tuners.

barny5.jpg

Back

The new neck is quartersawn walnut, from a tree I salvaged on the farm next door. Was going to be pushed into a pile and burned to clear more pasture. The fretboard is black locust from elsewhere on the same farm. Dot inlays are slices of #4 copper wire, also salvaged.

Not bad for a bunch of junk, eh?

Sounds and plays quite nice, too. The 4 pole, 5 position switch gives a good variety of sounds from the two pickups in various combinations. Has a very distinct sound. Big low end response, which I attribute to the walnut neck. It was not nearly so bassy with the original neck, which was maple with walnut laminates. Also has a lot of crisp, almost, but not quite too harsh high end, especially in the out of phase, "quacky" positions.

Ah yes, and we need a name, right?

This will be "Barney"

:D

Edited by orgmorg

I'll call this one the Stoddard guiar becasue I built this for The John Stoddard Rally Against Cancer(auction info). It's a chairty fundraiser auction with all proceeds going to thd John Stoddard Cancer Center here in Des Moines. I myself went through chemotherapy there in 2002, so this guitar means a lot to me and hopefully it will bring some money for the center. Here are the specs

body and neck- figured black limba

top- quilted heartwood maple

fingerboard- macassar ebony w/ quilted heartwood maple binding

headcap- macassar ebony

scale- 24 5/8"

bridge- tonepros tunematic srting through body

tuners- sperzels

knobs, pickup rings- macassar ebony

inlay- pearl and brass at 12th fret, pearl Marcovis logo on headcap.

pickups- WCR goodwood/darkburst

weight- 8.5 lbs

300232292.jpg

300232302.jpg

300232318.jpg

300232315.jpg

12th fret inlay close up

Some more pics on my picturetrail account

Ok here we go, this is my third build wich I built back in may I think, and then it was a long time until it got a finish. It has been finished for about a month now but I've been on vacation in australia.

gteborg017.jpg

gteborg034.jpg

gteborg023.jpg

gteborg024.jpg

telered005.jpg

Specs:

Pretty much a copy of a 70's deluxe

-GFS split humbuckers

-Vintage style trem

-Wilkinson kluson-style tuners

-Graphtec nut

-25,5" scale maple neck+fretboard with plastic dots.

-All black with b/w/b pickguard and binding front and back for some discrete outlining of the body and pickguard.

-Finished with nitrocellulose laquer, not because I believe it will sound better but because I like the way it looks and ages.

-Neck finished with nitro died amber

-Schaller straplocks

I'm really pleased with how this plays and sounds (and looks!!), if you've got any questions please ask.

Edited by aidlook