How Do I Get That Nice Bevel?!?

would my orbital sander w/80 grit paper do the same thing as the angle grinder????

Time is the answer, way too much wood to sand off...Angle grinder +1

Harbor Freight angle grinder like $20 plus flap disk.

A ROS will work, but take a long time.

4" angle grinder is FFFFAAAAAASSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too big a job for a dremel. I'd use a ROS before a dremel. (but I hate dremels- only use them when I *HAVE* to.) The ROS would be faster than a dremel., and the angle grinder is really quick.

Edited by postal

A ROS will work, but take a long time.

4" angle grinder is FFFFAAAAAASSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too big a job for a dremel. I'd use a ROS before a dremel. (but I hate dremels- only use them when I *HAVE* to.) The ROS would be faster than a dremel., and the angle grinder is really quick.

Well I broke down and got a $30 angle grinder, but I got a 40 grit flap disk. Should I return it for the 80 grit??

40 should work fine I suppose. Might leave the surface a little rougher which would take a little more smoothing with the ROS, but shouldnt be an issue I would think.

I personally havent tried the flap sanders, I just use the sanding disks. I get good results with that so I never bothered to try the flap sanders. Others like the flap sander, so either one should work fine. Just a matter of personal preference.

I use the angle grinder with a 40-grit flap wheel. I have to spend a little more time with the palm sander, but the speed is well worth it.

If I'm putting on a carve or bevel, I'll make the initial angle on the router table. It's not so much for material removal as it is to mark a straight line around the body. Without it, I absolutely cannot get a consistent depth of cut.

i always like just using a rasp...that and some time

however i like to do things the hard way :D

it builds...uh...character..right?

I use a rasp as well for most of it. It has to be one of my favorite tools, but not for top carving. I have to find a better way of top carving.

I ride a motorcycle- An aquaintance of mine who rides showed up one day with one side of his bike all trashed from a spill....

I asked him what happened.. and with a pause and a grin... he replied "...character building...."

I know it has nothing to do with the topic... but the post about character building made me think of it!

Angle grinder is the daddy here - over here we've got the flappy sanding disk but now there is also flat velcro pads with flat pieces of sandpaper that attached. With the added bonus they go upto 100 grit so just using the angle grinder I can get a smooth finish!

Also I tested the other day with a bit of superglue attaching fine wet and dry grits (320 and 600) to a couple of worn out pads and hey presto I got a great finish in the space of minutes. Going over it with hand with 600 upto 1500 is next to put a gloss on it - but all the hard work had been done.

I assume with everyone mentioning flappy disks that these pads aren't available over in the States or UK yet?

I assume with everyone mentioning flappy disks that these pads aren't available over in the States or UK yet?

Yes they are available...and they slip at the worst time...spoiling a delicate carve in a half a second...because when they slip it throws the grinder off balance,which can cause you to go where you don't want to.

I have ruined aluminum handrails with them...I would not go anywhere near wood with them.

Yes they are available...and they slip at the worst time...spoiling a delicate carve in a half a second...because when they slip it throws the grinder off balance,which can cause you to go where you don't want to.

I have ruined aluminum handrails with them...I would not go anywhere near wood with them.

Hmmm can't say I've notice any slippage from my usage - but I'll keep an eye out for it.